Used long-arm help/suggestions

ADL

We are trying to purchase a used long arm machine for my mother and am reaching out to some of you for advice. We are wanting to spend around $4000 so we have a fairly tight budget.  We found a used Gammil for $5000, but could use some help figuring out if it has the features a basic quilter would like.  My mom quilts a variety of different sizes, up to king size quilts so the ease of use for larger quilts is fairly important.  I have listed the information below, any recommendations on what it is missing, if Gammil is a good brand, what we should be looking for in table size, if it is a fair price, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

She probably would use it 1 once a month, so it wouldn't be too frequent. 

Thank you for the help!!

Gammill=2009 model

18" throat

SR

12' table

light bar

laser

timing tool

zipper leaders

bobbins

needles

couple of pantographs

I don't know of anything to add, but the price limit is going to make it hard.

I don't know anything about the gammil now.  Compared it and APQS for

years I think..   So, check the used machines apqs has, and the other

forums some of the gals use.. wish I could remember them.

Rita

I main concern would be the 18" throat as this will not give you a large area for actual quilting.  Since the take up bar (where you roll your quilted quilt on) has to be inside the throat space, it will take up some of the inches.  Perhaps you can ask the owner what the ACTUAL QUILTING AREA would be and have them measure it.  I am thinking it might be 12", but could be wrong on that.

The 12' table is good as you can quilt a king size quilt on that size of a table. It is nice to have a light bar.

Sometimes when there is an asking price you might be able to make an offer and they may accept.  Since you have a budget, you might want to talk to the owner and see if they would be willing to reduce the asking price.  If you can not pick it up in person you will have to add the cost of shipping into the purchase price, which can be significant. 

Hope this helps :)

ADL:  Actually the quilting area provided by the Gammills is quite generous.  Their table configuration doesn't take up as much room as APQS's.  I think the quilting area for the Premiers  is 14 or 15 inches.  While there are some things I don't like about the Gammill's table, I don't think you'll be able to buy a first line long arm machine with the features you've listed any cheaper.  Like Laura says getting it delivered is an issue, but if you can deal with that, I'd recommend you buy it right away.  Jim

Archived