Snowmen Custom Quilting

Finally I am catching up and back in business!!  Thanks to my good APQS forum quilting pal Marci - who saved my life by sending me a belt for my  machine - I am sewing up a storm!!  (...and Nigel piped up and offered help to me as well - I am so very grateful for you awesome quilting friends here!!!) 

I'll tell you what, I will never be afraid to change my motor brushes again either.  I can change those suckers with my eyes closed and one hand tied behined my back now - YEAH!!!  Only because I totally goofed and didn't have the spring right up against the back of the brushes, so they weren't advancing correctly.  BUT - take a guess how many times I had to open up my machine to figure that out?  LOL  Then I pulled wires out that I didn't even know existed from opening up my motor so many times.  But guess what?  I am quilting again!!!  YEAH!!!  ...and I only had to bug Amy up at APQS once.  Woohoo me!  :)

I think I've said enough four letter words to last me through all of 2014 too...   LOL!  ;)

So here's what I've finished up...loading up a Swoon quilt for one of my favortie customers this afternoon to work on next!  :)

12088684114_3557d6dbfd.jpg
DSCN4719 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

12088973766_6c1a65c4d2.jpg
DSCN4711 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

12088679344_eeb57440eb.jpg
DSCN4712 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Just a note - I DID stitch in the ditch around all borders and blocks - the scalloped border is fusible applique and very stiff - so despite two layers of batting it just didn't poof or fill up!  :) 

Thank you guys!!

Joyce - HA!  I am definitely seeing the value in a maintenence class!!!  This is something I seriously would love to take!!

very cute quilt and nice quilting.  At the rate you are repairing your machine you will be able to service others in your area. LOL.  Amy teaches a great maintenance class if you ever have 3 days to spare.

'Just a note - I DID stitch in the ditch around all borders and blocks - the scalloped border is fusible applique and very stiff - so despite two layers of batting it just didn't poof or fill up!'

Oh,Val, this looks great, you don't need to explain anything!  One must consider the specific issues dealt with on each and every quilt, and there's only so much that can be done (what you did looks as wonderful as anyone else's work - and much better than mine). I'm sure your customer loved what you did for her.  We appreciate your sharing what you're working on and enjoy seeing your quilting. It helps those of us not as proficient as you to get a grasp on what can be done with not so perfect a canvas.  You are doing just fine - keep it up!

Teresa - oh my goodness I was really really scared to do it.  My machine is older but I hear the newer machines are easier.  The only thing that scared the heck out of me was going in the first time having NO idea what to expect and afraid I'd break something.  Inside the motor there is this square board looking thing that holds a bunch of wires and things in place...I am pretty sure that is its only function...and of course I took a hunk right off of it.  Really close to a screw too - but thank goodness nothing that damaged it.  I also pulled out wires that I wasn't supposed to and I had to go back and keep reopening.  I don't think you want me anywhere near that machine!  LOL  HA!  I feel way better about changing the motor brushes now though and future repairs that may need to be made.  Though I hated every second of it, I'm not gonna lie, I have a better understanding of how my machine works and I think that was really really valuble and worth all the fuss.

Marci - thank you Miss!  You are always such a helpful kind voice here on the forums!  I am always so motivated by your positive words!  :)  The customer was really happy with this and sent me another with free reign in quilting design so I'm thrilled!  I can't wait to get started!  :)  She really is a good piecer, so, not blaming anything on her skill level because it is there, she has it.  I think you are right, some quilts there is just so much you can do with, and some of it is just the downside fo fusible applique.  I don't think there is much more I could have done that I didn't - and even still I really like how it turned out.  I honestly can't believe just a year ago I was just mastering loopy stars!!!!!!

Very cute quilt. You did a great job on it.  Now that you know how to replace motor brushes do you want to come replace mine too?  My machine is making a funny little noise at the motor. Hubby thinks it is motor brushes.

'Just a note - I DID stitch in the ditch around all borders and blocks - the scalloped border is fusible applique and very stiff - so despite two layers of batting it just didn't poof or fill up!'

Oh,Val, this looks great, you don't need to explain anything!  One must consider the specific issues dealt with on each and every quilt, and there's only so much that can be done (what you did looks as wonderful as anyone else's work - and much better than mine). I'm sure your customer loved what you did for her.  We appreciate your sharing what you're working on and enjoy seeing your quilting. It helps those of us not as proficient as you to get a grasp on what can be done with not so perfect a canvas.  You are doing just fine - keep it up!

Archived