Bobbin Cam or another tool?

So, I'm a little obsessive on checking my tension on the back of my quilt.   My knee has taken some kind of repetitive injury and getting under the table really makes my knee worse.  a lot worse.  :(   

So... I've heard about the bobbin cam but not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on this gadget?   Do you know of any other things that could help me check my stitches ( I do it every pass on a panto) I was thinking a long handled mirror, but not sure where to get something like this or if I will see the detail I need?

Debbie,  that,s great. 

Laura,  I even tried laying a mirror on the table top but you still need some light under there  and it really needs to be fairly close to the quilt to get a good look.

The only problem I see with the automotive camera is you would have to remove  it to use the extended base.

Right now I just feel the bottom as I start each row.

Nigel

The camera and TV are really neat!  I may have to ask my nephew the computer (and electronics guru) about that.  I have very little lighting in my basement studio.....I purchased a flashlight at target that has a flat area about 4 X 4, is LED, and is hinged so you can adjust the angle of the light...It stands up just fine....I think it was meant for camping or something....I use that to shed light on my backing under the machine...works for me until I get better lighting or a camera set-up....Lin

well, now I've got the ball rolling on ideas thanks to all of your suggestions.   I found a 'lighted inspection mirror'  online....not sure if a 2"x3" mirror would suffice for this, but at $10-15 it's not a bad idea.    Also going to check out my auto supply shop and see what there is for inspection cameras.  

Or just continue to go to physio and get my knee better so I can crouch and lunge as much as I want!! ;-)

To add lights under your frame, buy the 24 inch fluorescent lights at walmart, the kind with the regular outlet plug, use an extension cord or power strip to plug them in. I just zip tied mine to the frame. I use two, but three would be nicer. I think they cost about $8 or $9 each. If I need to get real close, then I have one of the little lights with the long neck and it hangs onto the carriage at the front. It's plugged in and has a button to turn it on and off. I believe that it was intended to stick on or had a magnet on the little disk to attach it to a regular sewing machine. It's more expensive, about $25.00 at the quilt stores.

Originally I did have a setup similar to the bobbin cam, but ended taking it off as on my Lenni there was too much clutter for me plus now I have the IQ so no room.

Now if I want to look at the backing I use either my ipad of iPhone to take a photo. It gives me a good enough shot to see if my stitches are OK.

Archived