Bliss with new table or change rails

I have a 2005 Millennium with Edgerider wheels on it.  I'm considering either moving to Bliss or just purchasing a new Millennium  I have some questions I'm hoping this forum can help me with.

1.  If I just upgrade to Bliss will I really notice a difference between the Edgerider wheels on my machine and Bliss?

2.  If I just upgrade am I better off just buying a whole new table and then Bliss or just changing out the rails?

3.  If I upgrade is this something I can do myself since I don't have anyone who can help me?

4.  If I were to purchase a new Millennium it looks like from the pictures that the controls are on the machine head itself, no longer on the handles - am I seeing this right?

5.  Those who have upgraded from an older machine like mine (2005), were you happy with your choice to upgrade and did you miss anything that was on your old Millennium?

Thanks...Mercedes

Mercedes,

I have a 2008 and so does a good friend of mine.  She upgraded to Edgeriders, I upgraded to M&Ms when the first came out.  She has since upgraded to M&Ms too.  You can tell the difference between Edgeriders and M&M wheels.   Bliss is even smoother then just M& Ms so I have to believe you will feel the difference if you add Bliss to your current system.  That being said, I came very close to upgrading myself when the New Generation Millie came out last Spring.  I have gotten to play on one several times and it is an awesome machine.  The one downer for me is that the controls are no longer on the handles.  I am used to having everything at my fingertips.  But I still have the serious wants for a new machine... 

When I purchased my Freedom in 2011, I did not get Bliss, as I could not afford it at that time, but it came with M & M wheels. ( I traded up from a Lenny).

I noticed a tremendous difference between the Lenny wheels and the M & M's.

Last year I ordered the Bliss system and I am so glad I did, so smooth and easy to handle,  very happy with it.

If I remember correctly you would probably need to ordered and new frame, as yours I believe is not Bliss ready. The new machine are beautiful and have so many new features that I wish I had, but I can wait, having the Bliss was well worth it for me.

Karen

Some things to consider--

Selling your Millie as it is now may garner you $9000-$10000, depending on what add-ons you will sell with it. If you have a power advance or hydraulics you may want to keep them. A new Millie with Bliss is $18,900 and the advance and hydraulics are extra. Adding Bliss to your present set-up will cost you $3000, which you'll never recover fully when you eventually sell your machine to upgrade.

Doing the math---$18,900 for a new Millie minus $9000 potential sale price for your old machine leaves you with a $9900 gap. Is a new Millie with Bliss worth that to you? How long will it take you to pay yourself back for the upgrade?

Is adding Bliss to your old frame worth $3000 to you? (It was to me.) How long until that is paid back?

Barb M and I had a similar conversation recently as I was wondering about upgrading my Millie. The Bliss system came with great installation instructions and though my DH did the install, I think I could have done it with just another pair of hands to help with the rails. There's no need to order a new frame if you're thinking of getting a Bliss system. 

This is going to be a hard decision.  I know I would really miss not having the controls on the handles which for me, would be much more convenient then having to reach up to the machine head for them.  I suppose it's all what you're accustomed to and I would eventually get used to it.    My machine does have the power advance and if I were to order another machine, I would add on a couple of more features besides the Bliss.

I'm excited to hear how everyone who has gotten the Bliss are very happy with it.  I don't quilt for others so there is no pay back costs that I can count on.  I enjoy quilting as a hobby only (at least for now) and have several quilt tops ready to quilt for donation.  I love sewing whether it be on a regular machine, embroidery machine or the long arm.

Does anyone have a picture they could post of the Bliss system added onto an older Millennium like mine (2005)?  I would like to see what it looks like with just replacing rails, etc.

Thanks for sharing all the great information

Mercedes,

My other suggestion would be to see if a roadshow or another opportunity (quilt show that APQS will attend) will be near you and make plans to go. At the road shows they have all the machines set up, some with a Bliss, some not...it was very helpful to me in making my decisions. Additionally at the roadshow having our local sales person (Beth) and Mark from the factory there was great for asking questions. If it is a possibility I would really recommend it.

I upgraded to the Bliss and it is well worth it. I also got hydraulic lifts and installed both myself with a friends help. The instructions were great and when I had a question I e-mailed or called and got great help. You will definitely notice it on making diagonal lines. The only thing I feel that my range ( depth) is less. Has anyone else felt this.

I actually looked into whether the roadshow would be in Washington state but alas no.  It's really hard to shell out that much money without trying out a machine to determine whether I like it better then the one I have.   I know if I do make a purchase it will be APQS.  I don't think you can beat their customer service anywhere - they are awesome.  

Sounds like I need more practice with the chair and I need to invest in a fatigue mat to use when I'm standing.   I'll also try lowering my chair down a bit so I can shuffle a little earlier on the floor. 

Mercedes:  I'd try a set of M&M wheels before I spent the big bucks on Bliss or a new generation machine.  They may be enough better than the EdgeRiders to satisfy you.  Try the easy inexpensive "fixes" first.  Do you have power lift on your table?  Just being able to move the table up and down can make a world of difference.  Jim

I actually looked into whether the roadshow would be in Washington state but alas no.  It's really hard to shell out that much money without trying out a machine to determine whether I like it better then the one I have.   I know if I do make a purchase it will be APQS.  I don't think you can beat their customer service anywhere - they are awesome.  

Sounds like I need more practice with the chair and I need to invest in a fatigue mat to use when I'm standing.   I'll also try lowering my chair down a bit so I can shuffle a little earlier on the floor. 

I'm in Olympia if that's close enough for you to come try my Millie with Bliss. Another option is Barb Mayfield, who is now located in North Bend and is a dealer with several machines you can try. She also has QP if that may be something in your future.

Barb can be contacted through the dealer contact link and my email is lindarech@comcast.net.

Mercedes I had the button controls on my handles of my 2007 Millenium and thought I could never get used to the new handles. 

It took less than one quilt!!!!!!   I now switch on my machine and one button on the handle and I am stitching.  No longer do you have to switch on the SR then command start etc......

LOVE my new Gen Millie.  my only wish now would be a basting stitch.

Lyn, I agree!  I LOVE the new controls!  I never thought I would want to give up the old style, but the new ones are even simpler.  The machine starts up in "Stitch Regulated' mode automatically, and is set at 11 SPI.  If you want to change stitch length, it is easy to do on the touch control panel.  The just one tap of either button, left or right hand, and you are quilting.  So much easier when doing ruler work.  Love, love, my New Gen Millie, and the thread break sensor and low bobbin indicator are fabulous!

I currently have the Hartley Base Expander, Hartley Micro Drives and the Ruler Mate for my 2005 Millie.  Will these accessories fit if I were to purchase a new Millie?  

Im trying to determine costs for a new Millie including anything I have to repurchase because it won't fit.     I'm also wondering whether people purchased the Smart Bobbin or the Big bobbin and why?

I currently have the Hartley Base Expander, Hartley Micro Drives and the Ruler Mate for my 2005 Millie.  Will these accessories fit if I were to purchase a new Millie?  

Im trying to determine costs for a new Millie including anything I have to repurchase because it won't fit.     I'm also wondering whether people purchased the Smart Bobbin or the Big bobbin and why?

Yes, they should all still work.   

I bought a new system with Bliss about 18 months ago and put it together almost all by myself.  My grown son did help with the heavy parts.  Then a few days later I helped a friend install Bliss on her machine.  It was no problem either time.  A second pair of hands really helps, but it need not be somebody with big bulging muscles!

• 2 years later...

I bought my Millie when I retired in 2004, and I love it. I have since taken a computerized class and purchased an IQ which I also love. I notice that when I am in manual mode, things seem a little 'heavy' moving the machine. I do have the Edgewriter wheels and am drooling over Bliss. Can I install the Bliss with having IQ mounted on the machine?

Thanks for any advice. I did see the post about trying to replace with the M&M wheels. Would that make that much difference?

I have IQ Millie and M&M wheels.  I was recently at MQS and was surprised the difference between how heavy my machine feels and how light the new Millie felt with Bliss.  Huge difference.  I have been thinking about Bliss and still haven't decided about the expense.  I am not sure how many more years I will have my Millie and know I won't get any more $ for it when I sell it.

Was also wondering if my old Millie (2005) would move as easily as the new machines if I added the Bliss.

Archived