• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes that is logical. Funny that I bought some of Jamie Wallen rulers last week with the angled handle and can't really use them easily as the fluro light bar gets in my way. From looking at the pictures I think the led lights will solve that on my 2007 Millie. Great timing.

I purchased the lights and just installed them.  They were very easy to install.  It did result in a retro fit for Mike but I think he'll easily come up with a solution for that.  I just had to cut the wires on my florescent light to take it off the back plate but I know people that can put it back together for me should I ever need it.  I don't think I will.  The lights seem very bright and having a switch to flip to the black lights is wonderful.  I did the install completely on my own so don't worry about that.  The light plugs right into the plugs that are already there but the original switch for the light doesn't operate the LED lights.  There is a small white box that is connected to the head but it doesn't seem to be in the way of anything.  I will test the brightness of the lights as soon as I get a quilt loaded, hopefully tomorrow but I would say from must evaluating it they seem just as bright.  The view is wonderful and that light bar is no longer in my way at all!  I can't even tell you how exciting that is.  I think all in all this was an excellent purchase and well worth the dollars spent.  I think for me they will add a lot to my visibility but I'll update after I actually quilt with them.

Cathy,

You plug the light into the existing wire and you also plug into the the little box.  I'm not sure the technical reason for the little box but it is only about 1 1/2" x 3" maybe.  They are not at all in the way of my micro drive handles and I didn't have to move my handles to put them on.  Hopefully I can give a report this weekend about the lights used while quilting.  I can tell you that just turning them on it seemed bright enough and my field of vision was much improved without having that darn old light bar in the way.

Im excited to get mine! Hopefully should be shipping out this week, as I placed the order the 20th of March!!!!  Im excited as heck to get this thing. I have the start of cataracts on my eyes, and i'm hoping this brighter light will help me, and losing that fluorescent bulb (even tho I moved mine to the backside a few years ago) it will be a blessing to trash it!  hahaha!

Heidi, explain "retro-fit"...were there tweaking issues...or??????????

Sheri as you know APQS always is changing something and previous to mine the wiring for the florescent bulb wasn't wired through the back plate.  When I got to taking off my light bar I discovered that my wiring had been run through a hole drilled in that back plate and I had to cut the wires to take off the bar.  My machine also only has one connection on the side of the machine head (the controls for the handles) while the older models have the light that also plugs in there.  My light plug didn't come out the side but resting inside the head.  I was able to work around this issue and let Mike know so that he could address it for any other models like mine.  I'll bet your machine has the attachment on the side of the head so you won't have that issue.

If your model has only one plug on the left side of the head (for the handle controls) than the fluorescent bulb connection runs up behind the handle assembly and connects behind the front control panel.  We came up with a thin 1/4" spacer that goes behind the handle assembly allowing the new power supply cable to run up behind the handle assembly to it's connection.  It's a simple fix now.

Regarding power supply options:  Most common is the in-line power supply that uses the existing fluorescent plug.  Some after market components like the IQ use this light plug so another option for the LED power supply is the plug-in version that uses the laser receptacle at the back of the machine.

Heidi,  thanks for your nice review on our LED light system and installation comments for your model of Millie!

Sheri, you should have yours any day now.  Let me know how it works out.

Mike 

http://www.mcautomationinc.com/led2

Heidi, I have a quiltazoid bracket attached on the left side of the head. Do you think I will have any issues attaching the light bracket on that side? Perhaps just use longer screws? I'm directing this to you as the resident Quiltazoid expert. Thanks for any info you can share. Sally

Heidi, I have a quiltazoid bracket attached on the left side of the head. Do you think I will have any issues attaching the light bracket on that side? Perhaps just use longer screws? I'm directing this to you as the resident Quiltazoid expert. Thanks for any info you can share. Sally

Sally, Sorry I'm at MQX and haven't been online much.  Yes these should work with the quiltazoid without any problem.  You will probably need longer screws but Mike will tell you what size to get.  I will attach my bracket next week just to make sure but I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Sally,

The screws used on LED light rails are 8-32 x 1/2".  The Quiltazoid bracket is pretty thin and there is plenty of threads left on the screws so these should work.  If you order a light let me know on the comments that you have a Quiltazoid and I'll through in a couple longer screws for the left side just to be safe.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

These lights are the best. I love not having the fluorescent light bar in the way. In addition to providing great light, I feel I am able to see a much better stitch definition - the end result of that is better stitches. I took off the old fluorescent light bar and installed the led lights myself. Mike's directions are detailed and easy to follow. The whole process took me about 5 minutes.

Sue J.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been wanting to try these new lights for a while now, but didn't feel free to spend the money. Recently my quilt guild gave me a surprise gift card for quilting the raffle quilt, and these lights were ordered immediately! I can't even begin to express how happy I am with them! I HATED that light bar! In fact, my husband had helped me remove it years ago and we rigged up a combination of stick on led's and a florescent under the arm of the head. It wasn't bad, but these lights far surpass anything I have had. They were easy to install (I needed a spacer like Heidi's). I really like having a light from the side also, so clamped a small IKEA led (can be mail ordered at IKEA site or Amazon) to the head. Now I have the best of both worlds in lighting. Thank you so much, Mike!

• 3 weeks later...

These lights are wonderful.  I hadn't been using my florescent for ages as we couldn't resolve an issue with it.  So I already had that bar removed.  I am now so used to the LED lights I can't remember how I managed without them!  If you have any doubts, don't!  These lights are great!.

Thanks Mike!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the great reviews everyone! 

I've added a brief tutorial video to the web site for those of you that are considering improved lighting for your older APQS long arm machine.

http://www.mcautomationinc.com/led2

~ Happy Quilting

Mike

Archived