janalynl

I just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a new George owner living in Tucson.  I am finally getting control of George! The first few weeks that he lived in my sewing space I was totally intimidated by him.  After getting the stitches looking better I'm actually beginning to have fun with him.  He is really one handsome guy!  I enjoy reading all your posts.  Actually I was reading your posts before I finally made the decision to buy George.  Keep your ideas coming!  I feel so much better hearing about all your ideas and problems.  Janalyn

Welcome to the APQS family and even more to the branch of "George."  I have had mine for a few years, but he is a wonderful part of my therapy team!

One of the ways I chose to quilt is to use stencils for some areas of my quilts.  It is great to have a general line to aim for and when you are done, no one knows how close you came to the line or not and the repetition of the design really helps to create good movement memory.  I use all my quilts for practice.

Hi Janalyn:

I believe that you and George are going to make a terrific team.  (Full disclosure here:  I am the one who sold George to Janalyn.  She is an accomplished seamstress switching from garment sewing to quilt making.  She's already tired of sending her tops out to others.  Janalyn has been here for two lessons so far and I've seen a great improvement in her stitch control.  She is going to be a fast learner once she has a little more time to practice, practice, practice).

I think Madelyn has a great idea for you.  Since you've already demonstrated more confidence stitching on a drawn line (rather than just figuring out how to fill in a large, blank area) why don't we try using some of my stencils next time.  Thanks, Madelyn.  Great suggestion!                   Nancy in Tucson

Nancy, the thanks and credit should go to Heidi M. when she had the challenge on here to use a stencil for a wholecloth quilt.  She told how she uses just part of one stencil design if that's what fits in the space, and the full stencil for other areas.  That has really helped me find designs for different areas of my quilts because I just can't wrap around the overall designs.  They just don't fit my brain style (or eye choice).  I, also, use washable markers or chalk pencil/wheels to create a guideline for some free form. 

My Dearest Mrs. A,

I figured you had something to do with the newest George in town and Janalyn, but in the world of, "never-bet-your-life-on-it" I wisely waited for you to appear in this thread. 

Janalyn,

Nancy is a treasure!  Enjoy and learn from her.  Both are easy :) 

Jain

Calamity Jain,

I am totally aware that Nancy is an absolute treasure. I leave my lessons with her on a real high. I really can't tell you all how important this creative outlet is to me. Now that I am finally bonding with George I have trouble sleeping at night thinking of all I would like to create on George. Life is good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived