George v Charm

Furball

I realize this is the George forum but I thought I'd ask anyway

Ii'm trying to decide between the George and the Gammill Charm. Has anyone looked at both and does anyone have any words of wisdom for me.

My biggest question is the difficulty of tension adjustment for a variety of threads. I usually quilt from the back of the quilt because it allows me to see my markings better. This means I need to be able to run things like Isacord, Superior Rainbows, King Tut in the bobbin. Can I do this fairly easily with the George.

Any other advice welcomed.

Interesting question Furball.   I don't have a George but have used thicker threads in the bobbin  quilting on my Janome from the back.  I also have no idea what the bobbin assembly of the Charm is like.

See if you can try both of the machines with the threads in the bobbin the way you would like to use it.

AS long as you have a good Bobbin Winder that can consistently wind bobbins you should not have a problem.  I would also be recommending you get a Towa gauge so that once you have your bobbin tension set so that the bobbin thread is closer to the top in the sandwich, you will know where to set your bobbins to accommodate the different threads.

I do have a George and think it is a great machine. 

When I first got George I used King Tut and still do on occasion.  Of course, the tension process is a learning curve.  I have used King Tut in the top and the bobbin when I started.  I have also mixed the weight of threads on top and bobbin.  I have used Rainbows and just a bit of So Fine in both.  I have done a whole quilt with Invisifil 100 wt. on George.  The tension adjustment has not been a problem. 

So far, I haven't tried Isocord but have a quilt that I will be using it on as well as trying out Robinson Anton 40 wt in places for thread painting/highlighting.

I know nothing about the Charm, but there are a couple other ways to assist the tension on George besides the tension disc.  There are 2 three-hole guides before the tension disc that you can use one, two, or all three holes in either guide as well as the choice of wrapping around the guides or weaving through the holes. 

I am not an obsessive person with some of the mechanics of adjustments, but I really don't have to spend much time with tension adjustments. 

If at all possible take a muslin quilt sandwich with you that is marked with side by side spaces so you can try some of those threads when you check out both machines and try your own threads on both machines.  Good luck in the process and even more in the purchase.

I just went back and re-read your concern with the threads in the bobbin.  I have run all of the different threads I mentioned above in my bobbin and have not needed to change my bobbin tension.  I can get it adjusted well with the top tension.

Check, check, and check the customer support for any machine you might think about, or want to try.

George like the other APQS machines have top quality assembly, hand made in the case of the APQS.

We have access to super support on the web site, if all you get on the CD and assembly and feature

don't cover your problem, don't hesitate to call Amy or one of the other gals at APQS, or post a question

here for Dawn or a Rep to see and replyl.  Some things just don't need help beyond us owners.

I've run Rainbows and King Tut in the top and bobbin of my machine, with no problems.  One thing on

tensions is this,  move the bobbin screw by MINUTE increments, and the top tension by a whole circle, sometimes

a bit less, sometimes a bit more. 

Good luck in your decision.. I'd recommend Any Apqs machine, and as for support.. roflmho,  Just ask Amy

what we went thru, through no fault of MY own. 

Rita

Congratulations, Furball.    You have made a very wise decision and one I'm sure you won't forget.

One more thing, I'd recommend you buy a couple of extra Bobbin cases.. I have 4 use each for diff thicknesses of thread.

Just makes it a lot easier for me when I'm dopey headed...

Rita

Archived