I've read a great deal about using monofilament for echoing applique.  Is there ever a reason when you would use it on a wall hanging vs thread?  It seems like that is 'frowned upon'.  I've only used it once for a quilt.  It worked great but I am considering using it for my freehand on a wall hanging.  There is some applique on it and I thought I would use the mono throughout.

Whoever has "frowned upon" invisible thread hasn't tried it or hasn't found the perfect use for it. I just used Essence monofil by Filtec on an entire double quilt. The customers budget wouldn't support thread color changes needed for separate quilting of white and very colorful fabric in the piecing--- she suggested invisible thread and it worked great for a medium overall.

You wouldn't opt for this type of thread for micro-stitching because of the bit of shine you can get. But most other applications are fine. You can ditch and outline with it--really its best use. You can do CCs, line work--anything. All that shows is needle holes and texture. The thread I mentioned above is the absolute thinnest mono I've used. Smaller than a hair and forgiving with a tiny bit of tension tweaking. Loosen the top and the bobbin tension and test it out. Minimal breakage. And the Filtec is super inexpensive. I've used Monolon (Superior) and Monofil (Madeira). The Essence is my favorite

• 2 years later...

Archived