Ready 2 Quilt / Finished

I often see post about needing design help. You ALL rock! Well, I thought I knew what I wanted to do and then maybe not... I wanted to stay away from an all over design, I do know that, for sure. I planned to SID around each pane and then something in each shape. Hmmm??? Does anyone have any suggestions. Hubby thinks I should just make cracks like in stained glass. I'm thinking more organic looking for some reason. Your input would be so appreciated! Oh, and since these photos, I have added one of the brown bali colors for a border.

Thank you, in advance... fingers crossed.

post-62102-0-29125600-1396095858_thumb.jpg post-62102-0-01037500-1396095873_thumb.jpg

Tina when I see quilts like this to me they need custom and need to be SID'd because that is what the piecing is all about.  I know there are many that would put a panto on it and call it done but to me it needs more.  It think this quilt is the perfect place for you to practice background fills.  If you would rather them all not be different pick a few and create the texture.  I think different size pebbles and stones would look great on this quilt.  Since it is your quilt I'd play with it and have fun.

I echo Heidi for sure.  I do stained glass and I saw different textures in all the "glass" panes.  Google stained glass and look at all the different nuances in glass.  The batik fabric has a lot of movement and texture already in it so you could go crazy and have fun.  You have to post an after pic.

Thank you, Heidi, Oma & Lisa! Heidi, the pebbles & stones are exactly what I had in mind. For many days this top hung over the banister next to our rock fireplace and it screamed for pebbles. I drew some of the blocks on my sketch pad and loved the way it looked. I did start with SID lastnight, in the first row, but decided beens there are so many "panes" that I would take your advise and practice AND have fun. I am doing a variety of fillers and alternating two different designs (opposite corners) within the four panes of each block. I will post pictures when it is finished. Thanks again, your input is so appreciated and helps with confidence!

• 4 weeks later...

That came out really nice.  Go back to your original post and hit the edit button.  Then add the word FINISHED to the title.  If you don't, members think they've already read the post and don't always check it.  Some people use the "new since my last visit" button and it won't show that you finished the quilt.  It's always a good idea to start a new post in pictures because it starts new for everyone.  You've used some very nice fills and it's a different quilt, so it would really be interesting to see.  Just some thoughts.

Archived