George's Tension

CindyOH

So far, I have tried Rainbow, Bottom Line and So Fine threads without needing to adjust the tension.  Tonight I am going to try some silk thread, and I want to understand the tension knob just in case.  My domestic sewing machine has a little dial with numbers for tension.  Can someone share how George's tension knob works?  Do I turn it to the right to tighten and left to loosen?   Should I make small incremental adjustments (moving it a couple of ridges), or do I actually turn it significantly.  Has anyone marked their tension knob so that you know what settings make your favorite thread happy?

Thanks for your help.

Cindy

Do I turn it to the right to tighten and left to loosen?   Yes.  You turn the tension knob much more than you ever did with the dsm.  Many times if you are looking for just a bit of change turning a quarter turn is normal or even full turns.  I haven't marked my tension knob at all since it gets changed so drastically.

Another way you can adjust the tension on the thread is to change the pattern of weaving through the three hole guides.  Instead of wrapping it around the edge of each guide hole, you can do an up and down weave through the three holes or use fewer holes for it to run through.  With the finer threads you might want to use fewer holes in a straight weave pattern.

Archived