Safe to Buff "Mitten Thumb" of Hook Assembly?

I know this isn't a maintenance area but hoping someone can answer...it's too early to call APQS and I'm hoping someone might quickly share what they know so I can get to work! 

I went through the timing video and hook assembly maint. video Dawn has posted several times on the forum...I have some burrs on the "mitten thumb" of the hook assembly and am having some thread breakage issues...wondering if this is the issue.  I have had a few needle breaks recently and a bad jam...I checked timing and it appears to be ok, but I feel snagging in that thumb area.  Can I safely buff this area with emery cloth?  I know not to buff the sharp hook point so as not to damage the assembly but I am not sure about this thumb area and if I can get right in there and buff or if I should only buff certain areas carefully.

Thanks for any help in advance!  ;)

Yes, you can buff that "thumb" area like Meg said with some fine emery cloth.  Really you can buff anywhere on that hook assembly except for the very tip of the open scissors point.  That is the hook point and is sharp so that it can pick the thread from the needle to make the stitch.  Let us know if you need anything else.  :) 

Just an update for anyone reading and curious - I'm pretty convinced it's a bad cone of thread.  I did EVERYTHING I could think of.  I went and bought emery cloth, buffed the burrs out of the hook assembly area, rethreaded through the pigtails about twenty different ways, adjusted the batting at the back of the machine, adjusted the tension several times from the bobbin to top, changed the needle, checked the timing, looked for collar play - UGH!  I probably should have done it first, but I switched to a slightly bluer shade of Glide and just did an entire pass without issue.  All I can think of is maybe I just got a bad cone?  In any case, today will be spent frogging this quilt and then starting over with the new thread.  Thanks so much for your help!!

Archived