Ahhh Charlotte - I hear ya!  I was having the same issue last night.  Wish I had another person around to stretch it with me to help try and square it up.  Or a huge table would be wonderful.

I quilted a quilt for my SIL (120" square quilt) and she pieced the back.  Used long strips anywhere from 4" to 12" wide, each strip the full length of the quilt.  She didn't measure each strip to make sure they were the same length, nor did she pin before sewing, nor did she use an even-feed foot (you see where this is going???).  There was not a thing square about that quilt back! 

I do what Lyn does.  It doesn't matter how many times I tell my customers I need six inches on each side, they think two is OK.   I had one lady cut the front and back the same size because she said she watched me and knew that would work.  When I told her she missed the pinning on the top and bottom, she just said she gave me extra so it didn't matter.

Linda Stellar also said if you roll back and forth a few times, that seems to work out some of the kinks.

Wide backs are the BEST!  And so easy to get straight.  You want the fabric TORN from the bolt - wide fabric has a tendency to twist a bit when rolled onto the bolt.  So, have it cut a bit larger than you want it and tear the ends to make sure you have straight of grain.  Once you've done that, mark your centers (just fold it in half and finger press) on the selvedges, and load those onto the leaders.  Roll back and forth a few times and Voilá!  Perfection.

If you end up with pieced fabric, load the backing with the seam horizontal.  Roll back and forth a few times and you should do fine.  If you get a pieced backing where the customer has decided to get really creative and use up her scraps, either shoot the customer or tell her those belong in another quilt top!  ;P  I only take heavily pieced backings if I can lay them out and inspect them for waves and D cups first.  If I can see it's going to be a big problem, I refuse it.

Several years ago, after too many backs having issues, I began piecing my customers backs no charge. (just the ones with yardage) My customers love this and I end up with perfectly straight backs which saves me a ton of time and stress.

I handle my wide backs the same way Linda Stellar does.

I always use wide backs - customers sometimes  bring me pieced backs, which I secretly hate. The seams are usually pulling and puckered and always uneven with one side being longer than the other and don't forget, they are vertical too!  have a mental issue with loading a quilt sideways, can't wrap my head around the pattern going side to side while quilting it. I know, my issues are not the customers, but good grief Charle Brown! 

Seriously, I LOVE to tear a straight line in my backings. Works every time. Pin the selvedge to the leaders and I'm ready to quilt!

Debbie

I use the extra wide backs if possible. I have found I always have to tear to get a straight edge. I usually make a snip about 2" from the edge and tear. By the time I reach the other end that 2" will have grown anything from 4" to 6". I do wish the quilt shops would also tear. But lessons learned, I now always buy at least an extra 1/4 metre to make sure I have enough for the backing.

Wide backs cut from the bolt are notoriously wonky. One LQS here has specific instructions on the bolt end that they are to be torn, not cut. The other LQS refuses to tear the backers but will throw in an extra quarter yard to compensate, but only if you say something. Strange that the first shop will get full use of the bolt and the other is giving away fabric just for convenience.  :unsure:

Archived