Mesmerize - basic gray custom

My customer wanted this to be customed.  It was really hard for me because the lines were two feet long in some of the blocks.  I had trouble keeping the line straight as I used DeLoa Jones CASTLE ruler.

I would do each of the ends first and then the middle was loose, so when I stopped to reposition the ruler, the quilt wanted to bounce.  Of course, this could have been operator error.

Heidi suggested the dark lines be horizontal and vertical.  I placed horizontal lines on the borders, so the binding wouldn't interfere.  Then if another dark color was next, I would make those lines vertical.  She wanted me to do as many different designs as I could in the white, so I put pebbles in all the centers.  Then I tried to do the designs so they looked even, the circles drove me crazy, because I wasn't allowed to use any markers to divide the lines. I like all the designs to be even, so I did my best, and she loved the quilt.

I used Hobbs 80/20 and So Fine and bottom line. Flickr has switched me over to the new photo experience which means I can't place the pictures in the post anymore.  I complained and they said they were sorry, but I couldn't go back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/libbygquilts/

She is clever, isn't she Marilyn!  Libby, you started off by saying how this wanted to slip and bounce.  Apparently it bounced in just the right direction as there is no sign of a bobble!  What I want to know is, if you can't mark, how did you get those figure 8s so perfectly shaped?  When I try that mine vary from fatter to skinnier - just all over the place.  You know, like my body as I age.

Libby, your quilting is wonderful! This is definitely a case of you the quilter being aware of things that are not visible to us taking in the whole picture!

I really love your flickr page, I had to keep looking!! I haven't seen this layout before-- Is it new?

Sylvia,  I was so frustrated with this quilt, I just figured WTH... and just went for it.  The fact that those came out, in your mind, so perfect, was a total accident.  It was hard for me to change directions of the design four times in a strip.  Sometimes I got so confused that I went the same way.  So instead of over/under, there are cases where it's over/over. And if you look closely at the lines, they go straight, then bobble a stitch to one side, then go straight.  I think I hold the ruler to tight and it pushes the material in front of me, then when I stop to reposition it moves.

Cindy, This one took me about 23 hours.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.

Gosh Libby, this gray quilt is beautiful!  You took a "basic gray" to a whole new level.  The detail you gave it is fabulous!

Love all the quilts on your flicker site.  Feel like I just went to a wonderful quilt show while sitting on my couch!

Libby, you did a wonderful job. With the word "basic" in the title I didn't expect intricate work....lol. I was also looking at all those other quilts on Flickr that you've worked on. I have been out of commission for a year now but you have definitely been in commission and producing some awesome stuff!! It was fun to look at all you've done.

Jess

Archived