Monogram Whole Cloth on Hand Dyed Fabric

UPDATED TO ADD:  I loved making this so much...and I happened to see on FB that HMQS had extended the show deadline...so my quilt will be there!!  :)  I'm going to add to this post a couple of shots with binding and crystals added...the sparkle doesn't show up nearly as lovely on camera as it actually is...

13914557045_bbebdb9a57.jpg
DSCN4981 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

13891443626_912c8c0d4b.jpg
1520756_779173105429278_8350930427309390095_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

I should first share that this was NOT quilted on my long arm.  After a stressful week and a full schedule of quilts - I needed to just play.  This was quilted on my Juki TL 2010Q on a small hunk of fabric I hand dyed last summer!  I partly regretted not putting it on the long arm as curves turn out so perfectly with rulers, but, for sitting down at a domestic I'm happy with how it turned out.  Also - it was just fun to goof around!!!  :)

13838978883_aaa28a8966.jpg
10150563_777436892269566_8094247026161744232_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

13839322164_fe1ef005c1.jpg
10262103_777437155602873_8570994828602593957_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

13838954975_f65d8a581e.jpg
10252164_777437522269503_2072300988961370792_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

It's beautiful, Valerie.  I'm most impressed by the fact that you can switch back & forth from your long arm to a sit down machine…two very different skill sets.  Congratulations!

How much of this piece was marked?  Your stitch length is remarkably consistent.  Cindy Needham uses this background often.  She would definitely recommend beading it!  Do you call that background cathedral windows or orange peels or what?  I love it.  Thanks for sharing,  Nancy in Tucson

I am out of "likes" for the day - but thank you all so very much!!  :)

Hi Nancy!  :)  Yes, I do go back and forth quite often!  They are different MUSCLE sets too!!!  I got a work out as I hadn't quilted anything much on my sit down in a long time!  :)  I marked the grid behind the oval center, and I made a freezer paper template for the S and to mark off my oval - that is all!  :)  I free handed the feathers but I did place a few spines down first to plan out where I wanted them and how much space they took up.  Oh yes I am a HUGE fan of Cindy Needham!  You can see her influence on much of my work!    I call that background orange peel or continuous curve...when it's small I call it pumpkin seed - but all are the same!

Thank you!!

It's beautiful, Valerie.  I'm most impressed by the fact that you can switch back & forth from your long arm to a sit down machine…two very different skill sets.  Congratulations!

How much of this piece was marked?  Your stitch length is remarkably consistent.  Cindy Needham uses this background often.  She would definitely recommend beading it!  Do you call that background cathedral windows or orange peels or what?  I love it.  Thanks for sharing,  Nancy in Tucson

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!!  You always make me feel like a million bucks here - that's why I come back so often to share!  What a wonderful helpful group of folks here!!!  :)

On a whim I saw that the deadline for HMQS was extended...so I sent it in!!!  Seriously excited, hope someone will take a photo for me!!!  :)

Sue - You make me feel so good, and I'm sure you CAN quilt like this!  It is so so so about practice.  I did add a few beads and some crystals...I will add a photo....  :)  Thank you for your thoughts!!!

Silvia - Thank you!  You make me feel wonderful about my work - and maybe the S is for you?  Never can be sure...  ;)

Quilt Guy Dave - *hugs*  I think that's the best compliment I have ever had...ever.  :)  Thank you!

Valerie, your work is always fantastic. I can only dream of being 1% as talented as you on my good days! This little quilt is wonderful and I agree that you should add some beads.

Since my name starts with an "S" I guess it is for me!!!! Your work is just beautiful and I am jealous.

O...M...G!!!

Archived