Changing Ultimate 2 to M bobbin?

Thread Runner:  I changed the bobbin system on my Ult2 from L to M.  You have to know how (or at least learn how) to time your machine and adjust the needle bar height.  Not a difficult job.  If you'd like detailed instructions, e-mail me and I'll give you my notes.  Jim

• 7 months later...

Thread Runner:  I changed the bobbin system on my Ult2 from L to M.  You have to know how (or at least learn how) to time your machine and adjust the needle bar height.  Not a difficult job.  If you'd like detailed instructions, e-mail me and I'll give you my notes.  Jim

can the Liberty be changed from L to M bobbin system?

I have the Ult 1 and asked the dealer that was installing my IQ and doing my spa treatment about upgrading to the M size bobbin at the same time.  He recommended against it as did Amy from APQS.  The mechanism in the machines (forget what it's called, a gear box or something like that) needs to be completely replaced and everything that attaches to it.  For the $1000 that it would have cost to change over to the M plus all the additional expense of getting extra bobbins and bobbin cases, the hook assembly, etc. (looking at a total near $1500), it wasn't worth it to me.  I can change a lot of bobbins for $1500. 

Maybe the answer is different for the Ult 2 -- I suggest you call and talk to Amy at APQS and get her thoughts on it.  She was very straight forward with me and I trust her advice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rockytop:  If the Liberty has the same main shaft/hook shaft arrangement as the Ult 2, you can convert it from the L bobbin system, to the M system.  The conversion isn't all that difficult to do, but it does require a couple of simple modifications to your machine, as well as a suitable M hook and bobbin case.  I made the conversion more than four years ago, and have had no problems with it.  I did not do anything to the gear box.  The biggest problem I had doing it was removing the original hook.  The original hook was not properly de-burred when it was installed, and the burr was embedded in the hook shaft.  I had to use a brass drift to tap the hook off.  Hopefully mine was a isolated problem that you wouldn't face.

I used an M hook intended for a Gammill machine.  I think the hook used on the A-1 could also be used.  They are a little different, and use a different bobbin case.  I'm in the process of experimenting now and will know for sure soon.  Of course when you do it, you're on your own as far as repair goes.  No warrantee and no standard parts, but then I've had no issues with it, so that hasn't been a problem.  Let me know if you need any more info on the change.  Jim  

Archived