Custom designed quilt

gquilter

Hi,

I am new to this site and didn't realize it was for long arm quilters; I have a handy quilter.  Anyway, I have a friend who's son is into karate and she wants to commission me to make him a memory quilt incorporating his belts, logos, pictures and a signature block.  It will be a large wall hanging.  I will be working on the design this week.  I will supply background fabric, batting and back of the quilt.  I have previously designed several custom memory quilts but they have always been for family members or close friends.  She wants an idea of the cost before I start.  How do estimate when you to do the design?  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Gloria

Welcome to the forum. Usually you just take a good guess on a price. Pick a per hour rate and then estimate how many hours you put into the other wall quilts you made. You might actually want to use a timer or stop watch to see how long this work takes you for further reference. Most of the time you don't make much money doing commission work unless you are a big quilting star making something for a corporation or something. Good luck and guess well!

Archived