Washing a quilt with Pellon 80/20 batting?

I am making a tshirt quilt for a friend's daughter. The quilt will need to be washed in a front loader washing machine. Has anyone washed a quilt using Pellon Legacy Natural Blend 80/20 batting? Is there another batting you would recommend? I will be quilting it on my DSM. She would like the quilt to be very soft so I plan to quilt no closer together that 3 inches. I really appreciate your input.

I usually use Quilter's Dream Poly for t-shirt quilts.  It is lighter, and won't shrink.  Since everything on a t-shirt quilt has been pre-washed and pre-shrunk, I don't want a batting that will shrink at all.  Beware of the lower quality polyester battings you get at Joanne's - they are difficult to work with when quilting on your DSM.

Carol

Read the care and shrinkage information on the package of batting. That 80/20 blend will shrink because it's mostly cotton. Two percent shrinkage listed on the package will result in a two-inch shrinkage in a 100" square batting. If the fabrics have been pre-washed, opt for a 100% poly batting, which will have easy-care instructions, great drape, and stay soft after many washes. You can also follow instructions on batting packages for how to pre-shrink the batting if you want to use a blend. Take care with it and make sure you start with a large-enough piece of batting to take the shrinkage into account.

And of course, include laundering instructions on the label so there's no question about care.

I try to educate my customers about the good uses of poly batting, including the fact that when laundered and spun in the machine, the poly batting is almost completely dry when it goes into the dryer. That means that the dryer is only working long enough to dry the fabric and not the sopping wet cotton batt trapped inside. That cuts down a huge amount of wear on the fabric caused by heat and tumbling until the whole thing is dry. This is great for utility quilts and floor quilts that need a lot of laundering, since it really extends the life of the quilt.

I sell and use Pellon battings in my long arm business and online retail  and have been very happy with all of them.

I usually use the poly in t-shirt quilts because it doesn't shrink at all. But my second favorite batting besides the  wool is the 80/20. It is very soft and I actually washed and machine dried a quilt with it (which I usually don't do). It did shrink a bit but not as much as I thought.

You shouldn't have any problems quilting or washing it!

• 6 years later...

In order for blankets to serve for many years, warming them on cool nights, you need to properly care for them. Large and bulky items can be washed in machines with a large load weight and have special programs for special washing. But it all depends on two factors: the material of the product and your washing machine. I advise you to read which washing machines are better here and still buy a more convenient one in order not to wash such large things yourself. I myself once washed a blanket, and it is very hard work for a man and even more so for a girl.