Pieced backings - seams pressed open or not?

I have always told my customers when they piece their backings, to use a 1/2" seams and press the seam open.  I was online in the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't sleep and found another longarmer who tells customers to leave the seams to one side.

Thoughts??

Why? That seam pressed to the side will have a triple layer of fabric and may show as a slight bump on the back.

Why not? It might not matter unless the quilt is going to a show. Then if the bump noticeable the judge might offer an unfavorable comment.

The only reason I can imagine for suggesting this is if the pressed-open seam has extreme tension on it there's a possibility of seam stitches pulling slightly apart and showing from the backside. But really, if you're pulling apart the seam, you've got the backer tension way too tight. Just a thought...

I never piece backings if I can help it. I would much rather have a whole back, and the prices are less than paying twice for yardage it would take to piece a back. Just today, I did a customer quilt with a pieced back. Bless her heart, but no one had told her she could make the backing with a horizontal seam. She did a vertical seam, which meant she bought fabric the length of her quilt twice! It was small enough that the horizontal seam would have fit and would have been cheaper too.

I called her to ask how she meant it to be used, and when she said vertical, well, I don't do vertical! Hate the hassel of keeping the backing from pulling and pooching along the seamline. I told her that I would have to load it horizontally, because I have a disablity that prevents me from picturing in my head how to load and quilt the quilt sideways in order to use the backing in the direction she intended top to bottom, down the middle of her quilt. In other words, I was going to do a horizontal seam or not at all. It came out just fine too. I think I will have to post a sign that says, "quilters dyslexia prevents me from quilting your quilt if it has a vertically pieced seam. You may however, press the seam in whatever manner you like, as that is not part of my dyslexia."

Too funny! :D

I have one on the frame now where the backer has three seams running horizontally, but they're separated by a long 12" strip pieced vertically that goes the length of the backer. I loaded it with that strip running vertically and that thing was so poorly seamed it sagged like crazy right from the first inch. You could see where the fabric on one side of the seam had been stretched to fit. It's quilting fine, since I knew to check that middle section with every advance.

Archived