How to deal with a pleat in the backing.

qltnbe

I took my classes from Karen McTavish and now I am working on a quilt for a friend. Karen says I can no longer consider myself a newbie. Now it is practice, practice, practice.    I got myself a nasty pleat in the backing of the quilt.  I have pulled the stitches out in the piano keys where it was pleated and a row on either side of it, too.  I have been told to steam it with an iron (but it's on the back of the quilt on my longarm) and it has been suggested to spritz it with water and then use a very hot hairdryer on it.  The  owner of the quilt pre-washed the backing, so I am thinking that limits the amount of shrinkage that I am going to get.  What would you suggest?  I have the whole quilt quilted at this point, but the one setting triangle where the menacing pleat resides. 

post-15392-0-09370200-1401416505_thumb.jpg

When I was a newbie quilter I fixed pleats in two ways. One was to put my label or a hanging sleeve over it. Another time on a baby quilt I bought some embroidered butter flies and covered the tuck and scattered some butterflies over different places. The judges liked the back art. On one of my friend's quilt, she just laughed and said it was a good place for a label!

Sharon Schamber left a pair of scissors on a quilt that got rolled up as she advanced and poked a hole in her flower quilt. She added random lady bugs all over the quilt and of course won some Best of Shows with it.

Archived