Price for piecing?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so if you can direct me, I'd appreciate it.

Potential customer contacted me about piecing together a quilt top from blocks that are made. I would then quilt it as well.  What to charge for piecing?  Significantly less work than a t-shirt quilt, but still work.  Currently I'm thinking of charging my basic per hour rate for sewing, and estimating how long it will take.  Then pricing for the quilting.

Thanks for your help.

I usually charge $20.00 per hour to sew blocks as it is what I at least hope to make doing what I'd rather be doing - quilting....I would give her an estimate but then emphasize that I would keep track of my hours and that it is only an estimate and could change.  

I charge $20 per hour as well.  I have a timer I use to track time from cutting through completion of sewing. Then add my quilting rate to that and all material costs.

Works well for me.

Like Vicki- I also give a rough estimate!

I agree that you should charge an hourly rate comparable to what you would get if you were quilting. Have you seen the blocks? There may be other issues that will impact the time needed, such has wonky piecing or worn fabric, especially if the blocks are vintage. 

We've had this conversation before - I know it goes against what you think makes sense but when you charge more, you always end up with more customers....I think it is that they feel they get what they pay for and want the best in quilting and piecing and whatever else you do for them....but it is true, it was worked that way for me...

I too charge $20 an hour, and just keep track of my hours. Some days that goes better than others, LOL.  So there is probably some element of estimation in there at the end.

I think that the hourly charge, helps even out the complexity of the piecing.  If it's  a simple pattern, there will be less hours in construction, but if it's like a baby quilt that I'm doing right now - with applique, embroidery and piecing, the hours will be higher.

Charlotte - I like the comparison - sometimes I feel guilty about the rate, but you're right, other trades are much higher.  We had a washing machine tech out to the house yesterday at $45 and hour and I didn't even blink (cried some, but didn't blink, LOL)

I don't know if you've seen this, but Seattle will have a $15 per hour minimum wage put into effect over the next several years. Corporations will have three-year increments to reach $15 and smaller and independent businesses with institute it over 7 years. Raise the bar, Beth! You're worth it! :)

Don't forget you need to be paid for the wear and tear on your machine and other equipment!!!! That is why the boat tech gets  $90 an hour - you are paying for their tooling and skills and other overhead. You also have overhead in electricity, space... you get my drift............

Archived