hit a pin, adjusted needle bar, lost the screw IN the machine, now what?

Has anyone had this happen?  I am waiting for APQS to open so I can call them but I think this is really a problem!

yesterday I hit a safety pin (which I use to hold the quilt backing on the leaders).  My customer cut the backing the same size as the top and I stupidly did it anyway so i had no margin for error.  So, of course, I had a big error!

I called APQS and they said it sounded like I jammed the needle bar and gave me instructions to adjust that.  So, I did that.  It was super hard to unscrew the needle bar set screw and I needed my hubby to strong arm it.  Once the adjustment was done, he screwed it back tight.  

Still no luck.  So this morning ( I am calmer now than last night when I was freaking out - oh, did I mention I have literally 10 inches left on the last row to do of this quilt?)  I decide to try adjusting the needle bar again...maybe we are still a bit off.....  so, we go to uncrew the needle bar set screw AND IT IS GONE.  NOT IN THE HOLE.  The screwdriver goes all the way into the machine.  NOW, what the heck happened?  i have no idea.  The needle bar is tight.  Doesn't budge at all.  

OY!!!!

thoughts?

If you screwed it in tight and the needlebar is tight, it can't be gone.  You need to rotate the fly wheel until the needle is in the lowest position.  That, if I recall correctly, is what puts the screw in line with the access hole.  See if that puts it in view.

Mavdbp:  Barb gives good advice.  When you're experienced at adjusting the machine, you can access the needle bar screw without taking the side cover off, but most of the time it's easier to take the side cover off (gives you a chance to remove any thread that got wrapped up inside) so you can better see what you're trying to do.

As for the undersized backing.  I give the backing back and ask my customers to sew scrap strips on both ends of the back so I have adequate pinning space.  I don't do that sort of stuff for them.  Save a lot of misunderstandings.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived