how to quilt around applique

I'm ready to start quilting around the applique on my Vintage Valentine.  I have not done much of this, so I'm doing a little homework first.   There are many of you who do this so beautifully.  Please share your tips....

Do you background fill before or after you outline the applique?  I saw a theory that doing the background fill first adds more pouf to the applique.  Poof sounds good :-))  But doing the outline after background sounds backwards and scares me.

Have you tried Linda Thielfoldt's technique of scribble quilting close to the applique, then starting the background fill outside the scribble?  She says it is more forgiving of accuracy blunders with the outline SID process.  I'm not great with SID, so this sounds appealing too.  She has a video that pops up at the top of my Google search for "how to quilt around applique".

Thanks for your advice.  Here's a photo of the quilt top before the last border was added.  It now has a 7" floral border with a small red piping between body and border.

post-4164-0-05135700-1404759367_thumb.jpg

You can do whichever way looks best and works well, taking in to account how dense you want the background filler and what type of batting you'll use. 

The reason doing the outlining last is sometimes recommended to add more pop---if there is extra fabric within the sashings (the dreaded make-it-fit Syndrome) nailing down the background with dense fillers, starting at the edges and working in,  will cause the fullness to be pushed around and accumulate under the applique, making it stand off the background even more. If you don't have that problem, use whatever sequence of stitching you think works best.

I've done outlining first, last, and even during. All you want is for the appliques to be crisply edged.

This top is gorgeous and your talent is top-notch, so I bet it's gonna be great!  :)

Annie, I used Michael's (Circle Lord)push button and the the 48 inch cross hatching boards of several quilts and it's is wonderful. Here is Michael's site showing you how to use them Page down to see all the different quilts.

http://pbtwocrosshatchtemps.blogspot.com/2011/01/circlelord-pushbutton-stystem.html

Here is the quilt I did for a gal Named Michael in our guilt.  there are more photes on flickr!  Good luck!!!

10872138325_8d65fa9300.jpg011 by delld1964, on Flickr

Annie,

I do ALOT of applique quilts and I found that stabilizing them by SID the blocks and then out lining the applique keeps things lined up and hanging straight., I am guessing you can do any of the above but that is what works best for me....I also enjoy going back and freehanding after I am finished using the ruler...saves the fun part til last....:)

I prefer to SID first and then fill.  I didn't find a lot of difference when doing the background fill first.  On the intricate BAQ's I've done I found that the applique needed to be nailed down first.  The last BAQ  I did I did SID, then and echo 1/8" away and filled with small pebbles.  This looked great and really made the applique pop but it took a long time to do.  

Deloa's Appli-guide is a wonderful tool for outlining appliqué! Although since I got Bliss, I don't need it as much as before. I have that quilt pattern and just love it, Annie! Beautiful appliqué on your part. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

One more thing, I recently ran into an issue with my own appliqué quilt because I did the outline and SID first. It made little tucks when I did my curved cross hatching against the SID. I think using two layers of batting (wool & 80/20) contributed to it. Learning experience for sure!

Thanks everyone for your input.  It is so good to have this forum where we all learn from each other's experience.

I started stitching around the applique last night.  And I'm loving it!  :wub: It is so much fun to SID around applique, and that's so weird because I really don't like to do it in straight lines in the seams.   I told my friends I have no interest in makiing any more needle turn applique, but I might have to change that tune and make more, just so I can quilt them!

I can see that this will be a slow process, so it may take a while before you see pics.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Annie - I really love outlining appliqué.  There's just a rhythm to it that I find satisfying.  The best way to get the poof is to do some cut-away trapunto, but that makes the outlining a bit more difficult -- dealing with the height difference between the appliqué and the background.  If you're going to do a lot of background fill, you can relax a bit when you're doing your outlining, knowing that you can hide any bobbles when you fill in later.

• 7 months later...

I'm a relatively new longarmer with a Millie with the Bliss table that I love.  I quilted on my domestic machine for years until my shoulders got tired of pushing thru that small throat space!  Anyway, I love to outline applique quilts, but am a little nervous on trying on Millie.  Does anyone have any experience with outlining fused applique rather than needleturn?  I have a customer quilt that is waiting to be quilted and she used buttonhole stitching to sew the applique edges and used fusible web under the appliques.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Oh, also going to try using Monopoly (first try since getting Millie) to do the outlining, which is what I would do on my domestic machine......

Thanks for any advice!

Archived