How to quilt this basket quilt?

If you remember the "Shell" quilt from before, this is the same customer.  Still haven't met her in person, but she seems to like my work because she sent me another quilt.  I need to respond to her about how we'll quilt this, but I'm thinking heirloom with lots of feathers in the borders and setting triangles.  Thoughts on how to do the baskets?  Not thrilled with the idea of continuous curves, did that on her "Shell" quilt.

Thanks for your opinions, they are always useful and valuable!

post-1438-0-91899800-1406069435_thumb.jpg

post-1438-0-60050000-1406069488_thumb.jpg

That's a great quilt! It looks so modern, I think because of the fabric colors, but is so traditional when you look at the pattern and the individual fabrics. 

Maybe use close horizontal lines to stitch the backgrounds of all the basket blocks--the triangles of the flower part and behind the baskets. Leave the light triangles unquilted but SID them. Crosshatch the basket to make it look like a weave. Your pretty feathers in the rest of the quilt will allow you to have a nice contrast with some straight line work.

The triple sashing always stumps me. Thread color is a problem if you want to stitch the sashing together since the thread can disappear on one color and clash on the other. If you can find an "inoffensive" thread color, egg and dart is always pretty in this kind of thick sashing and will match the curvy look of your feathers.

Two or three concentric circles in the nine-patch cornerstones can keep you from having to CC the small squares. Or if you like the egg and dart suggestion, stitch one big CC within the nine-patch so it has the same density as the sashing stitching.

Can't wait to see what you come up with--the quilt is gorgeous!

I think in the basket and 3 sashings, I'd use invisible thread.. then the bacground in the border would be up for grabs.. same tone, thick or thin or more invisible.. could be a sharp contrast but I think that would take away from the blocks.

Rita

I'm curious about what designs were chosen? 

I'm doing a large quilt with crosshatch.  Marks put in by her when I taught the class at church several years back, won't come out, aren't straight and not the same distance apart.

Oh, this is a diagonal cross hatch, I guess some call it diamonds..  It's ok for a first quilt, just some things just don't line up and while there is fullness in areas,

it's not apparent when I look at it.. it just doesn't work out as it should, and that's with no pushing or easing..  just not going together as it should.

I'll soon be done with it, I pray, and can go on to the QoV I have to do.  It is so pretty, and I'm so looking forward to it.

Rita

Archived