Ultimate ii- New to this site and quilting

Hello

My aunt just gave me this longarm machine in June 2014. It is an APQS Ultimate ii machine. I cleaned and oiled it as directed. I am still waiting on her to find and mail the manuals and clamps. I am itching to use this machine. Besides being a relatively new quilter I just wanted to know from some veteran quilters any tips or tricks. I cannot find much on this machine. How to thread etc.? I did thread it the way my aunt told me and bought new thread but my thread keeps breaking almost immediately. Please help

Welcome Noel!

It's easy to contact APQS to ask if they have manuals and other helpful instructions for you. Contact info is on the home page here. Another help is to look under the "Dealers" tab on the front page and see who is closest to you. Beginner classes are available and can help with your first steps and build your confidence. Congratulations on the nice gift from your aunt!

I have an ULT 11 machine, so welcome to the family.  You may want to check the tension disc's since your thread keeps breaking.  Put on a practice piece of fabric, layered with batting and backing.  Loosen your tension (lefty loosey, righty tighty) a lot...then when you stitch, tighten a half turn at a time till you get good stitch quality. Also look at your bobbin and make sure that it isn't too loose or tight...the drop method works well for this (there are alot of video's and discussions that you can access on how to do this)

I use the pre wound Magna bobbins by FilTec, you can purchase them online. I found alot of my tension issues was due to the bobbins not being wound right so I opted to purchase the Magna bobbins and have been very happy with them.

Some machines just do not want to play well with various threads, this is a learning curve.  So far I have only found one type of thread that my machine just would not accept.

Any problems you may have, you can always ask here or call APQS.

Noel:  Because of the multi-directional nature of sewing on a long arm, thread choice is much more critical than on your domestic sewing machine.  Until you are very familiar with your machine, and how it works, I would suggest you use a single type strong polyester thread.  My thread of choice is YLI Longarm Professional.  I buy it on line from Linda's Electric Quilting here in Texas.  I would avoid 100% cotton thread because there are a lot of problems that come with it.  Similarly, I would avoid serger thread.  It's not strong enough.  Laura's suggestion of using FilTec's magnetic pre-wound bobbin thread is a good one.  Initially I wouldn't worry about having a large selection on hand just a few basic colors should serve you well.  If you use FilTec's Magna bobbins, you mush first remove the backlash spring from the bobbin case.  Using them eliminates a lot of bobbin thread problems.  I also recommend using   MR 4 (size 18) needles until you are well experienced.  They're nice and stiff and will perform well for you. 

You'll get all sorts of suggestions about this thread or that thread and this combination of top thread and bobbin thread, but until you're experienced, do yourself a favor and keep it simple.  You'll be able to concentrate on your quilting skills with as little thread issues as you can get by with.  BTW, I have an Ult 2 as well.  They are very good machines.  Basic, but real work horses.  Don't let anyone tell you don't have enough machine.  Good luck.  Jim

NOEL, you will love that ULT II.  I used to have one! A lot of us on here started out with that same machine!

If yours still has the old flat spoon foot on it, you will only be able to freehand designs.

My husband manufactured a 1/2" round foot, so you can use all the rulers on the longarm market with it.

Let me know if you may want that foot, if your aunt didn't already purchase it from me!

Oh wow, Thank you to everyone who shared info. I am overwhelmed. I don't know why it wouldn't be enough machine it just ticks away  never missing a tune. The thread is a problem, the user is the needs fine tuning =}. I think when I get all the missing pieces I should be okay.

Archived