Basting edges of quilt

When you're basting the sides and edges of the quilt, do you actually baste them or stitch them? If you baste, do you hit the needle up/down by hand for each stitch? So far I've tried both ways and if you don't trim off the stitch line for the binding step, it's nice to have an actual stitched line. Just wondering what every one does and why. And do you do something different when the quilt is for you as opposed for a client's quilt.

This took me a long time to master (like a good 10 months).  At first I needle up/down the whole time because it would pucker, pleat, etc.    

I shorten my stitch to 8-9,  do not use SR and then stitch down now -  gives me a larger stitch, I can stop quick if I need to.  

The Intelistitch stitch regulator has a baste mode.  Two options, I/2 inch long stitches, and 1 inch long stitches, so the needle up/down is not necessary to baste with machines so equipped.  That being said, I don't much care for the fact that you must tighten the tension a good bit to get tight stitches that are that long.  I'm like Laura, I mostly use the 6 stitch per inch setting and sew down the edge.   Jim

I just use regular stitching.  When I tried using a larger stitch length, I would sometimes forget to change it before going back to the regular quilting and that got old really, really fast.  I stitch it down as close to the edge as I can get, so that when the client attaches their binding, it will be hidden in their 1/4" seam.

Archived