Baby Quilt ideas?

Lizbeth

Hi

I am getting better with my quilting. The practice is what counts. I still need help

in how to quilt. Enclosed is a picture of a baby quilt, she does not want a lot of

quilting. It has a minkie backing. Anything special I need to know about minkie?

Please give suggestions.

Thanks, Lizbeth

post-63302-0-45568600-1406551010_thumb.jpg

I'm not a fan of minkie, but that's just my opinion.  I do try to load it with the greater stretch going parallel to the rails.  Less chance of your backing stretching longer and longer as you advance.

I think a simple edge to edge design would be lovely.

Minkee is a bit tricky. Try to keep it unstretched in both directions. I load with the selvedges to the leaders. To keep the sides from stretching out, I put very little tension on the backer and take a 4" by 12" strip of fabric, which I fold around the edge of the backer and carefully pin about every 2 inches. I attach the clamps to the folded fabric. Don't stretch the clamp elastic tight---just keep it so there's no obvious stretch to the backer This seems to keep the backer even. If you stretch the Minkee, it will recoil when you unload it and you'll get bubbles of fabric on the top side.

I agree with the suggestions for an overall design. 

Archived