Turning a Quilt Over

Has anyone ever quilted the top of a quilt, then flipped it over and finished the quilting from the backside?  I just tried that this past week.  I had a a 4 patch quilt with a very busy baseball print (the actual balls) top, and a very plain mottled beige back.  I stitched an 8" circle around the meeting seam of each four 4 patch block (100 in total) to stabilize the quilt, then flipped it, and stitched in a baseball seam ( I used 3 different variants alternating them across the quilt) with black thread, followed by red thread to mimic the actual stitching on a base ball (that was what the top print was, lots of different size white baseball with black seams and red stitching)  Stitching on the back was like doing a whole cloth quilt.  Because of the busy print on the top, it was difficult to see that pattern.

Well, my customer was completely "blown away" by the design.  She just couldn't say enough good about it.  So I'm curious whether anyone else has ever done this.   Thanks for your comments.  Jim

Jim I have flipped 1 over for a different reason, I sewed around the quilt in a color thread that would show good on the back then flipped it to sew the binding on, worked so good I now have sewn zippers together for flipping.  Saves the back and sholders. Saundra

What a great idea!!! Would love to see a picture of your finished quilt, Jim!

It's interesting how "guy" brains think differently than "girl" brains! It's not something I would have ever thought about doing, but now I can see this technique being used in other places, too, like on a busy border that you want to do some intricate feathers but can't see well enough to attempt from the front. I probably wouldn't do this on a customer quilt as it would take me too much time to turn, but definitely on one of my own!

I did the flip once to sew the binding on the back.   Worked pretty slick.  I just stitched a 1/4" line from the front side, using a contrasting color in the bobbin so it would show up on the back side.   I bought a set of the flip zippers.   I need to practice doing it more often.   On charity quilts or quilts the kids are going to use a lot, I sew the bindings down by machine, so sewing to the back first, then folding the binding to the front to sew down with the DSM and walking foot sure saves the shoulders..........especially on big quilts.

I would also love to see a photo this sounds interesting that thinking outside the box again My family loves fastball just finished a baseball quilt for a team reunion this fall I did a different quilt I will finish the binding and post a picture. Thanks for the idea.

Hey Jimmy. I done that many times in the past for the same reason you did. It made it much easier to see what I was doing instead of messing up on the top. Who would have thought of this but a guy. Well done Jimmy boy. Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks. Zeke......

It's taken me a few days of thinking now and then, about this method, to figure it out.

I'm happy today.. it finally clicked in and I'm going to have to do it.

Just have to be sure my zips will work that way.  Don't know why they can't

and if needed put a second zipper on both leaders. 

Rita

Archived