Just finished making a baseball quilt for my daughter. She is hosting a ball reunion this fall so I made a baseball quilt to raffle off to off set some costs. This was a fun project that I did mostly on the long arm sashed a plain fabric and marked the stitching line with a frixion pen then put on my Maxine my Millie and applied the chenille strips now for the secret to fluffing it up.......Take your shop vac and vacuumed the strip roughing I up with the end of nozzle and it looks amazing. Going to show my daughter tonight post-63431-0-23567100-1406728281_thumb.jpgpost-63431-0-82053700-1406728309_thumb.jpgpost-63431-0-98762500-1406728334_thumb.jpg

post-63431-0-06328600-1406823596_thumb.jpg

Yes I put four layers  of red fabric 15" x 15" on top of each other then cut the stack in half diagonally

placed these red backing fabric on the long arm then sewed  parallel lines 1/2" a part   using my channel locks

(your parrel lines must be on the Bias) (attached a hand drawn picture)

then take off the long arm cut the strips apart between the sewn lines  now you have chenille by the inch to

apply to your quilt I placed on the top of the sandwich and sewed from the inside end out to the end then sewed back to the start  

I hope this is clear as mud It worked for me and I will defiantly do this type of application again

• 4 years later...

I love this quilt and am in the process of making it.  Found that one yard of red seems to do it. My red triangles are sewn, as you suggested (still to be cut into the strips that will become chenille).  

It looks like you might have quilted the white before adding the red “laces.”  Is that correct? How long did you cut your laces? Maybe 6”, and then shaped them into a V when sewing them down? Or two 3” strips?

Thanks so much! My grandson will love it! I’m using fleece for backing, with his favorite team (Red Sox). 

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, MarciaG said:

I love this quilt and am in the process of making it.  Found that one yard of red seems to do it. My red triangles are sewn, as you suggested (still to be cut into the strips that will become chenille).  

It looks like you might have quilted the white before adding the red “laces.”  Is that correct? How long did you cut your laces? Maybe 6”, and then shaped them into a V when sewing them down? Or two 3” strips?

Thanks so much! My grandson will love it! I’m using fleece for backing, with his favorite team (Red Sox). 

Hi Marcia I am sure you have finished this project I have not been on the forum for quilt a while Yes I did mark the lines before I put it on the frame then quilted the entire back ground Then added the chenille to the lines I drew on the quilt I think the lines were about 4" in length. I would love to see your project

• 2 weeks later...

Archived