Towa Gauge

Dave,

You'll love it.  Just test each bobbin with a scrap of fabric on top of the batting and backing.  When the towa gauge is within guidelines, you know the issues are with the top thread.  I wind my bobbins pretty tight, and I still have to adjust my top thread once in a while.  I'm hoping for greater wound consistency when I can afford to get the pre-wounds.  However, the top thread adjustment is so easy that even I can do it.  Before getting the gauge, it was a mystery that only my hubs could solve.  Embarrassing to say, but true. 

Joan

Joan,

Where did you buy your Towa Gauge? I use prewounds and I really like them but I was thinking about buying a towa gauge. My husband is always telling me that he has never seen a machine that needs so many accessories lol. I love  my Millie and I do buy some fun things to use with her. Everytime a package is delivered to the house he asks me what is that and I tell him it is for Millie lol he just rolls his eyes :). Tomorrw I am going to pick up my new Brother Dream Weaver ve6200d I can't wait :). Then I will be done buying machines lol. Don't get me wrong ladies I work and I work alot of OT so that is the money I buy my toys with plus I make money quilting for other people with Millie so that is my mad money also.

Thanks,

Marti

• 2 weeks later...

The Towa gauge is a great tool. I test every bobbin. I'm a 170-180 girl. The number is subjective. A higher bobbin tension needs to be matched with a tighter top tension. You're looking for a balance between the two threads.

When you find good stitches, make a chart showing what your Towa numbers are so you can replicate. Different weight threads may need different tension numbers and self-wound bobbins need careful testing since they may vary from one to the next.

Archived