Sit-down quilt machines

Hello, my name is Anny, this is my first post, and I am totally new to machine quilting, having only hand quilted.  My husband and I are finishing remodeling so I will finally have a small area to call my own for sewing/quilting. With as many projects as I have to complete, I decided to turn to machine quilting.  I have looked at and tried several sit-down quilters and had about decided to purchase a George.  Then I came across the Gammill Charm on the internet and noticed there were two options in size, an 18 -8" or a 22 -10" (I believe the depth/height of George is 20 -8").  I have not seen this machine in person just yet as the nearest distributor is about 1 1/2 hours away from me.  Has anyone seen this machine, and can you tell me how it compares to the George? I would really appreciate any information you can give me?  Thank you.

As a sit down quilter you still need to move the fabric under the arm/harp of the machine. You will also still need to pin baste your quilt sandwich.

George is the same machine as a Lenni, it stitches at up to 2400 stiches per minute.  It is 20" x 8" and sits into a table similar to your home machine that is 2 ft x 5ft.  It has a Lifetime warranty and is available in L or M bobbins.

I have only seen pictures of the Charm and since I love my APQS machine would be biased and  say I prefer the look of George!!!!  I cannot really see when you would need the 10" throat height as that would have to be a mighty fluffy wadding quilt to puddle to that size.

I tried the George and the Charm before settling on the George. I thought they both had nice stitch quality -- better than all the others.

..The George offers a lifetime warranty; Gammill is only 4 years.

..George has been out for years and any kinks have been worked out; Charm is quite new.

.. I was able to talk with actual George users and felt that I got the honest scoop; Charm people were really Gammill longarm people and I didn't feel as confident about what they siadm about the Charm.

.. George can be put in a Stacey's table which was perfect for my limited space. Charm can not.

.. George did not have a tablet interface. Charm does. Althoug i am a computer geek by trade, the simpler to maintain George apealed to me.

.. I spent a good bit of time online looking at tutorials and forums and decided that George support was vastly superior.

Both machines are great. You really need to try them out to see what you prefer.

I have only had George a few months but I am ecstatic and for me it is the right machine.

Thank you for helping me with your insights. One of my questions was if the difference in the height/depth of the Charm would be that important.  I'm confident now that it won't be, the George's height/depth is quite ample.

I wondered, too, about the tablet interface.  That isn't important to me, either, as I've always thought the more complicated something is, the more apt to break.  But I hadn't considered the newness of the Charm against the longevity of the George; That is a major consideration that I almost overlooked.

I have admired the George for a long time now and had originally intended to purchase it.  But when I saw the other possibility (Gammill Charm), I just wanted to make sure I had truly picked the best one.  I will definitely do a little more research/hands on with the machines, but I am strongly leaning towards the George.  It will be about a month before I can order the machine yet, as the remodel isn't quite finished.  That will give me enough time to decide and order. Thank you for your sound thoughts!

Don't know if this relavent, I have the Lenni, and love her...  she quilted a quilt that was 120" Long.

It was pray and go and she did it.  I still had about one roll on the rod that I could have quilted.

Good luck in search... remember,  service, help and durability of the machine are the 
3 things to look for, other than how she sews, maintenance ease, support, etc.

Rita

Thanks, Rita, for what you said.  Yes, what you said does help me.  The three things you mentioned (service, help, durability) are top on my list.  I have spoken at length with several APQS dealers and have spoken at length to people in the APQS company.  I'm highly impressed with every aspect I have researched!  

Archived