Sewing machine in distress

Oh, Lord, have mercy on me!! I have done it again. Just had to go digging through that junk store, I knew I smelled a sewing machine in distress in there! That old oil must put out some irresistible pheromone into the air, I swear I can smell it from 5 miles away. I did fight the urge, but gave in anyway. Even told her "I'll go home and think about it", actually left the store. I got 2 blocks (to my cohorts at the local quilt store). We talked about her for all of 10 min. and well, you all know I borrowed a man and a car and went back to the junk shop and bought her. Oh my, I am a sucker for an old sewing machine. (My hubby will not like this, I'm hiding her in my studio at the quilt store!)

I named her "Rosie" She is an old heavy duty girl, Singer Model 101-4 born on April 15, 1931. She is in amazing shape, but will need to be rewired. In a nice cabinet (which will need a little restoration). I've found her manual and downloaded it. Will print it out later. She is a gear driven unit, no belt! I understand these are a bit rare. I paid very little for her. The rewiring may be expensive. I have never seen a motor like this one. I hope it will be worth it, she is pretty!

Does anyone else have this model?

Hi Kay,

Congratulations on finding such a great old machine. I have it's daughter, the 201 model. These machines are really great, quiet running and do last forever with just a little care. I do hope you can find someone to rewire yours. You will love it. 

Debbie

LOL....I recently fell for a "Godzilla"  singer model 66 made in 1951.  She was at a block garage sale...good price...but then I brought her in to the shop....not too bad..but several times more than what I paid for her....anyway...she is back from the shop, sitting on my dining room table....now I just have to fetch the cabinet (nothing special...would like to find another one) up from the basement ....trouble is with all the machines around here, I am just not sure where I can fit the cabinet in!  I just had to have a vintage machine!  But really, I can't wait to try her out...I did get the original manual and several attachments with her...only a straight stitch...but very modern for the time as she has a reverse too!  For those of you who want to know....a Godzilla finish on a singer is a dull black crinkle finish...not the smooth shiny one with all the decals....enjoy your find!  Lin

Kay--I can see why you succumbed!  She is a lovely machine in a beautiful cabinet.  I have more than a few orphans of the storm that I couldn't resist when they crossed my paths at yard sales and the like.  I need to get at least one of them going.  (Then another, then another . . . .)

Bonnie, I'm in Clovis.  What do you want to re-home?

Hi Dancingraisin!

I have a Singer 301 longbed in beige or tan (all one color), with the trapezoid case. I'm not sure if it's a 301A as I'm not really sure the difference.

I also have a Singer Red Eye treadle (I think it's a 1918 machine) in a tiger oak cabinet (three drawers on each side and a middle drawer).

And a Singer 500 Rockateer in a cabinet, with lots of cogs.

If you have interest in any of them, shoot me your email and I can send you pictures. I would love to find a home for at least one of them! The first and third sew beautifully, actually the third was serviced right after I purchased it a few years ago. The treadle I never learned to use, though I keep telling myself one day, but that day has been rather elusive!!!

Bonnie 

blhutcherson@sbcglobal.net

If anyone is hankering for a really nice treadle machine and lives in the seattle area, this is one of the best sewing machines you can use. A Davis walking foot treadle. I  am certain the seller does not know these sell for anywhere from $175 to $300 in good conditon. This one should also use regular size needles.

Wish  I lived closer, I  would get it. This is the same treadle I use to piece all my quilts with. The needle feed mechanism means that the top and bottom fabrics feed at the same time and it does not get misaligned.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/atq/4617971879.html

Debbie

Bonnie:  There is no difference between a 301 and a 301A, only age.  About 1952 they added the A to the designation, at about the same time they started putting number badges on the Featherweights.  BTW, the A means it was made in Andersonville SC. as were all 301's.  They're great machines.  Perhaps the best straight stitch machine Singer ever made.  Our sewing group uses 301's almost exclusively.  Jim  

I think the motor is ok. The machine has been kept in a home and not some barn. It is a "potted" motor with the worm gear. The worst of the wiring is from the motor to the power feed and the power cord. This machine has a knee press instead of a food feed.

Can any of you recommend a grease for the worm gear?

JoAnns' sells the original singer gease in a red / white tube. That is the recommended one for your gears. One tube lasts a long long time.

Debbie

PS, you can most likely find a users manual and a maintenance/repair manual online at singer.co or ISMACS...just do a web search for either place.

Archived