Little black rubber-ish specs on carriage

I have a 2010 Blissed Millie and have noticed some little black rubber-ish specs on the carriage and panto table as I'm quilting.  They are very small dots, about the size of pin heads.  I thought maybe there was a rubber washer wearing but I don't see anything.  The machine seems to be working fine, but if something is rubbing or wearing out I'd like to take care of it before a problem occurs.

Any thoughts?

I agree with Barb. It's probably oxidation from the wheels. It tends to build up and then flake off instead of staying on the wheels until they are cleaned. I don't use alcohol on the wheels, just a dampened towel or Q-tip. I do use alcohol on the rails though, being sure to wipe any residue off before running the wheels along them.

I have had this for quite a while and I didn't have M&M wheels until recently. I figured out it was from the 4 straps (2 on each end of the frame) that run from the sides of my frame to hold my quilt steady - they are stretchy and I think mine are beginning to erode. The reason I believe it is the straps is because I am also finding them under the table on the floor and I clean my rails all the time. I really don't think what I am seeing is oxidation. One of these days I might order new ones and see if this really is the problem. If anyone has any other explanation I would love to hear it.

Ahhh... the elastic it is!!  What a simple fix that will be.

I clean my carriage and M&M wheels with alcohol almost every day so was hoping I had the oxidation under control.  I thought I remember reading where alcohol could dry out the wheels over time, is that right??. 

Thanks for everyone's input.  Now I feel better about loading the next large customer quilt.

I reckon my wheels on the machine are  similar to the wheels on the car.  The need up keeping and over time will need to be changed.  I clean mine with alcohol and can't see them drying out any. think I will wear them out first.  Played with a 2007 Millie with the old Delrin wheels today.  That was hard especially with the oxidation on those wheels.

I have a 2010 Blissed Freddie and same thing. I don't think it's the side straps because it occurs on the carriage under the machine. I don't have the side straps near the machine when not in use, they are hanging off the end of the frame. Also, you would think if it was the straps, you'd have the residue on your hands and work surface while quilting. I'll have to do some more investigation, but I believe something else is causing it.

Archived