Machine Spa Treatment

I just got my Millie back from her spa treatment and just want to say how wonderful she is running now..she is quieter and she has never had such good tension...the first thing I did was do a quick sample of hot pink thread on the top and green thread on the bottom and you can't see any of the thread from the other side...I am thrilled! I also upgraded to the new interchangeable feet but since I have several customer pantos to do I haven't had a chance to try them yet...

Soooo....if you are thinking about sending your machine in do it! I shouldn't have waited so long!

post-2653-0-58644100-1408710693_thumb.jpgpost-2653-0-21206900-1408710707_thumb.jpg

(Ignore where I just snipped the threads, I usually bury them but this was just playing around...love this tension!)

That does look good....How long have you had your machine, or how long has it been since its last spa treatment?  I've had mine for almost six years now and haven't had to do anything, other than oiling and cleaning.  I did order some parts to have on hand and am getting ready to replace the tension spring and the thread pigtails because it looks like the thread is starting to wear a groove in them.  Is a spa treatment necessary if everything seems to be working well?

Debbie,

I've had my machine for 7 years, and since I took the maint class from Amy at MQX several years ago, I had changed my tension spring, motor brushes, repacked the gear grease, and even changed out a mother board when it was acting up about 4 years ago...I have never sent her in before this.

But I was still having problems with thread breakage and could never find the burr but smoothed the bobbin area anyway...but what made me decide to send it in was that it was just taking off sewing at top speed now and then with the SR on and at other times it was just gliding to a stop - again with the SR going...and my stitch indicaters were going bezerk now and then and the needle would show all stitch lengths sometimes when I turned it on...so I knew it was something electrical and it needed more than I could do...

While she was there, they addressed all these problems and fixed them, I also had them replace my whole bobbin assembly (which also had a little play in it and I was unable to loosen the bolt to adjust it), but they also replaced some other worn parts and something in my motor that was going bad - a bearing I think...so now she looks the same but runs like a new machine...I am so excited!  She has become fun again!!!  I've done two quilts with not a single thread break!!!

If your machine is working well, then I go with the old saying"if it aint broke then don't fix it" but if you think it could run better or the stitches could be better...then it is worth looking into.....

Now Look at your tension unit, see where that inner screw is.  "ideal tension point".  Even  put a mark on the tension dial at 12 o'clock - this gives you a reference point for adjusting the top tension.

I even mark on the machine, with a fine point permanent marker, the resting point of the tension spring and where it pulls down too.

If you have a TOWA see what number the bobbin runs at that came back in your machine "ideal bobbin tension number".

That will give you the sweet spot to work out all threads.

I encourage all new customers to do the same so if they get into problems then they have a starting point of where to go to get back to "sweet".

Hi Vicki and everyone,

We're so glad your machine is performing so well again! We totally agree with you, though--"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Sending it back to the factory is often a risky business since the shipping companies do not take such loving care of your baby as you would like. We often are repairing more damage once the machine arrives that didn't exist in the first place.

APQS machines are industrial machines designed to last through hard use. And of course, they are still machines after all, even if we give them names and consider them "family":) We do expect some natural wear and tear after years of heavy use. But if you're thinking you'd like to send in your baby simply because "it's been a while", we encourage you to hold off if the machine is performing well. As you all know, many, many things can be repaired by our owners with just a simple screwdriver and a little know-how (which we provide.) Before sending your machine for service, definitely call us to see if it is even necessary. We don't want to risk your baby's health any more than you do!

In fact, we're working on something new in the Service Department that will help APQS owners pamper their machines right in their own homes! We're creating a "Spa in a Box" that will include repair parts, a tutorial manual and even videos to walk you through how to give your machine a spa treatment without ever risking sending it in. Watch for news of that in the next few weeks--we're putting the finishing touches on the videos!

Archived