What batting for Hawaii?

Hello all knowing friends!~

My Aunt and Uncle are in the process of moving back to Hawaii, and she has asked me to make a quilt for them.  Here is what she stated she would like."What I am looking for is a quilt to use as a daytime cover for a queen size bed which means no thick batting but just enough to make it lay properly.  It also needs to be washable as we have never been able to train the dogs to stay off the beds."

The quilt that she saw at our house and started this process has Warm and Natural in it.  I think that this might be too thick for their needs, so would I want to go with just one or two layers of flannel as a batt, or is there a thinner batt that will give her what she wants?

Thanks for you help!

Poly doesn't breath, so I would think it would cause you to sweat... I have used bamboo batting for several customers (I don't remember what brand though because they provided it).  It is a thin batting and quilts nicely, but doesn't really show off the quilting, unless quilted densely.  I also don't know how it washes and dries. I would definitely go with a natural fiber that is breathable. 

From what your aunt is asking for, which is a "daytime cover"  for the bed and a place where the dogs rest, it won't matter what batting you use if it isn't to be used as a blanket at night. I'd opt for cotton unless she doesn't like the crinkled look of the batting shrinkage. Otherwise, thin poly will hold up well to washing and your stitches will be nicely defined.

My batting of choice is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20.  It is soft, pliable, easily laundered and just right for our climate.  I would use it for daytime cover-ups and bed quilts.  I have used the bamboo, it also seems very nice and a good weight, but I do not sell it and don't know how it holds up to laundering.

I carry a lot of choices, for customers with varying tastes, and who will be sending their work back to the Mainland.  I do not carry Warm & Natural, because I personally consider it to be totally unsuitable for our climate.  I do carry Quilters Dream Puff (100% poly), because it is once and puffy/cuddly for children's quilts, but the manufacturer calls it a synthetic down, which would be too hot for an adult bed quilt nearly anywhere in the Islands, unless they are high in the mountains or really love their AC.  So, that's my take on it.

Poly doesn't breath at ALL. I don't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!  Warm and natural, the 100% cotton is thinner and BREATHS!

Beth, if it were me, I'd do the warm and natural. I use it on a lot of quilts, but thinking about the moisture and the warm climate Hawaii has, i'd still stick with it. My Humble Opinion.

Archived