Needles

Was working on a quilt with a Hoffman batik backing today. Not happy with the Oregon brand size 18 needles my employer provided for me. What would you use? In my past experience I would use a much smaller needle (like a 12 or 14) on this fabric. It is just too tightly woven and to high a thread count for the larger needles.  

Kay, what was happening with the needle you were using? Were you having tension problems? If you were, It may have been because it was a batik. What kind of batting and was the batik dark? I keep a spray bottle on hand and spray the backings when doing batiks. It helps a bit.

For batiks, I use an 18 sharp R needle. I do know that Groz-Beckert makes a few different tipped needles. Two-thirds the way down this page it shows the different GB point styles. https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=needles_groz_beckert 

Perhaps a different needle point would give you better results? I generally use a size 16 or 18 in an FFG point or a R point for all my quilting. Thicker thread, I use the 18, thinner thread, I use the 16. My machine isn't timed for anything smaller than a 16. I don't have an APQS though.

Now I'm wondering what needle styles (tip points?) others are using?

Kay:  What kind of machine do you have?  I'm a fan of Organ needles, but I've never seen any MR 134 san 11 (the type needle most of the long arms take) made by them.

Common wisdom is to go to a larger needle when stitching on batiks  The needle holes disappear when the quilt is used.

Zeke:  I've used a lot of titanium needles, and haven't noticed any difference between them and the chrome ones when they break.  I've been told the chrome ones bend and the titanium ones break.  Well, the chrome ones break too.  The only difference I've noticed is that the titanium ones last a lot longer.  Jim

I use titanium needles in my Nolting 24 Pro and haven't had any issues of tearing, creating holes, or problems with them breaking either. I actually don't remember the last time I broke a needle (I just knocked on wood!!!).  The titanium really do last a long time. But having said that, I'm a "seasoned" quilter. I didn't use titanium needles when I first started quilting, mostly because I didn't know about them or have them. I do remember when learning to quilt that I flexed the needle a fair share here and there!!

The machine is a Martelli La Cresta, sit down model. I was using a size 18 titanium needle. I think she may have a needle that is just a little to long for this machine. After doing some research we have switched to Groz Beckett in a 134SAN system, (I prefer a smaller needle say a 14). That batik had never been washed, didn't like the large needle holes. I guess it is just a preference thing. I'm not a big fan of the titanium needles either.

Archived