Custom ideas needed for quilt -- PICS ADDED

My customer wants custom quilting on this which I prefer over a panto, but I'm not sure how to quilt it.  It really screams pantograph to me.  Sorry I could not get a picture of the entire quilt, but hopefully you can get the idea.  It's already on the frame and I have close quarters in my quilt room!

It's about 102" square and has a 1" wide green border, then about 4" wide border print on the outer border.  The inside blocks are stumping me. Since there is no sashing I don't really think I should quilt each block individually, or should I?

Thanks for any suggestions!

UPDATE 8/31:  Thank you for all of your suggestions!  Attached are some pics of the progress (not sure how well the quilting will show up. I decided to outline the flowers as many suggested and stuck with a simple stipple in the gold areas.  Was going to use monofilament for the outlining but all I have is the shiny stuff and I don't care for that.  Using a gold Glide thread for all as the customer wanted.  I was going to put feathers in the border but there's not much area there for feathers.  I used a simple CC and line design in the pieced triangle areas.  Not sure what I'll be doing in the green pinwheels, there's very thick seams intersecting there. 

I appreciate everyone's input!  I knew I'd get some great ideas from this forum. ;)

Pat

post-4461-0-45222500-1409505173_thumb.jpg

post-4461-0-82159800-1409505182_thumb.jpg

On those borders you could do feathers in the solid areas and repeat in the blocks were the same fabric is used.  Do Terry Twist or CC in the patches. Then in the rectangles do reversed swriles.

I agree I would have a done a panto on this cause it is so busy.  Good luck.

That looks kind of jumbled because of the daisy striped fabric with the pieced half. Not saying it isn't pretty, just that custom quilting will be lost on this one. :unsure: There isn't even a "pseudo block" where you could drop in a stencil to overlay something pretty in a thread with a bit of contrast.

But you could---

Use thin thread or invisible thread to outline the flowers in all the full triangle blocks, and mimic that on the border. Do a medium (and not elaborate) filler in matching thread on the red and yellow. Just a nice stipple to push back the backgrounds would let the daisies stand up. Then using a gray-green or dark gold thread, CC the green pinwheels and the pieces in the other triangles. The sashing outside the pieces would stand out a bit more with just two or three parallel lines running from end to end. Stitch them straight from seam to seam so there is a crosshatch effect in the corners. That amount of stitching would blend nicely, be worth the cost of custom, and not overwhelm the piecing. Just suggestions, of course.

If you have a leafy stencil that would fill the pieced triangle, that would work great as well with a medium green thread.

Archived