Batiks and Magna Glide in the bobbin

My friend is visiting from NJ and, in exchange for her helping me with my garden, we have been quilting some quilts for her. The first 2 were no problem.  The third (and last - hooray!) is a batik top and backing, Warm & White batting (I don't usually put W & N/W & W on my machine but it's her favorite) and we have been using Superior SF Varigated on top with Magna Glide in the bobbin.  We are using Circle Lord Swirlz.  We have been getting constant thread breaks - mainly with the bobbin thread but sometimes with the top thread too. 

I haven't quilted any quilts with batik tops AND backings since I started using MG bobbins except where the backing has been from SewBatik which is a less tight fabric. I do almost always use this thread combination and have had no problems before.

Anyone else had problems with this combination of batiks, W & N and these threads?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster...batik top and back is often a problem. Add the very dense cotton batting, and thread weights that are quite different..if you are referring to the Classics and not the Delights..and its a bit much for the bobbin thread. Try loosening your top tension a good bit and see if that helps.

I use this combination almost all the time. With batiks I do make sure to have some slack in the quilting area. ( turn the front roller backwards slightly) also ck and see if you have a burr if the thread is breaking consistently. If the Batik is stiff I will spray with water when loading.

We had the sandwich really loose - positively floppy!  I have done lots of quilts with batik top and backing but this was a first since I started using the Magna Glide delights.  I think adding in Warm & Natural was just too much.  We swapped to Bottom Line in the bobbin which worked really well. 

This was all for the friend who helped me build the work table and who brought me the Ikea shelves, all for my studio last year.  She did most of the quilting on these 3 quilts too - using Circle Lord boards.  She only ever uses Warm & Natural for her quilts - NOT my first choice.  I think the batiks combined with W & N were the problem this time.  Lesson learned!

Yes Heidi it was.....until yesterday afternoon when I got home to see that the HOA had just had the lawns sprayed with weedkiller !  I wonder if Sue wants to visit next spring and we can re-seed.  Of course, if the HOA would also take proper care of the grass we wouldn't have had to re-seed in the first place!

I am using Superior Rainbows on top and Magna Glide in the bobbin. Sometimes the thread breaks, top and bobbin. I put Sewers Aid on the cone and that did help. It's a customer quilt and quite .........um..............different. Modern setting, lots of white and old lady floral fabrics. The back is a very child looking fabric.  I will post a pic when I am finished!

Never thought about loosening the sandwich! Thanks!

Archived