Bobbin winding

Am I the only one who has a love hate relationship with winding my own bobbins?

None of my 3 DSMs will fit the L style bobbin for winding and my Millie has a bobbin winder on the head. I would use it more if I could figure out how to replace the small plastic tubing on the shaft! I purchased some from APQS and am struggling to get it on the dang shaft. Is there a special trick? I know I have mentioned my lack of mechanical ability before, but someone must have a hint for me!

I love rewound bobbins, but sometimes the thread choice for a quilt back is one I only have on a cone and even though the bobbins run out so quickly, it would be great to wind more of my own.

Any and all help would be appreciated,

Lori

When I had the same problem with the on-board winder, I just used blue painters tape instead of fussing with the rubber tubing. Wrap it around several times until when the bobbin is pressed onto the shaft it stays perfectly stationary. The tape compresses but still has a grip to it. That worked for a long time. I have a turbo winder now which I use when I don't use pre-wounds. 

To make it easier to position the tubing on the shaft, make sure it's short (not as long as the shaft), and try putting a bit of Sewer's Aid on one end to help it slide on.

Lori:  I'd suggest that you buy yourself a stand alone bobbin winder.  You can buy APQS's turbo winder, which a lot of forum members have and like, or you can buy another less expensive unit.  I'd go with a commercial unit (in fact that's what I have).  You can buy one with a variable speed switch control from Quilt Tech for about $100.  I'd stay away from the little plastic ones they sell a places like JoAnn's.

Because the on board winders depend on the machine speed to wind the bobbins, sometimes there will be variations in the winding tightness.  (the machine runs faster or slower depending on the stitching you're doing)  The stand alones are completely adjustable, so you can set it up however you want.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived