Instructions for Doing Side Borders without turning your quilt (REVISED)

Georgene

PLEASE SEE UPDATED VERSIONS of this and other instructions at

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/36436-quilt-path-instructions/ 

I hope this helps all of you as much as I know it will help me.

Several of us Quilt Path owners brainstormed this over the Facebook Quilt Path Group.  

I had tried many ways to do this and others offered other possibilities. Although I could make it work using a couple other options, they were all so laborious and time-consuming; hardly worth the effort.  But when Jessica Schick suggested this possibility, it sounded easy.

She said she wasn't sure when she suggested it, that it would work, but when I tried it, IT DID WORK.  It worked beautifully.

Although this takes a bit of time, it’s easier, in my opinion, than turning the quilt for the side borders.  And you can save the designs to use on other quilts as well.

Even though I charge extra for turning a quilt, most customers don’t opt for it, so I end up having to do something freehand or, if the border is wide enough, finding an appropriate block design to place in the border as I advanced the quilt.

Using the continuous line method described here, gives you a multitude of design choices:  Continuous Line; Border, Sashing, as well as other designs like some triangles, for example. It also allows you to incorporate designs from a purchased set into each area of your quilt.

A REVISED FILE has been uploaded.  Old one removed.  See REVISION DATE in bottom left corner of pages

Gosh, am I embarrassed!!  

I reread the instructions for placing the pattern down the sides -- the math calculations.  And I realized how simple I could have made it.  I am a bit math challenged sometimes.  But all you have to do is divide the total length of your border by a few numbers until you get a number that's 15" or less.  I doesn't have to be a whole number.  For example:  63' divided by 5 = 12.6 inches.  That will work as long as you know how to mark that on the quilt.

I will change the instructions and repost eventually. 

I'm sure most of you already discovered my blunder and have been very kind in not pointing out my math ignorance.  

Happy quilting to you all.

• 1 month later...

Hi Georgene

Love your instructions. Do you have any helpful hints for doing the top and bottom borders? I'm trying to get some to matchup using the Square Corner corner pattern and the pipeline continuous line pattern. I haven't found an easy way to get this type of corner to line up. Of course I've downloaded some other border and corner patterns and haven't had any luck with these either.

thanks

tom 

Archived