Agave garden/ Glacier star

I did Glacier Star. At the time, it was only available if you took a class. So, I did that, but I think I could have managed without it. The piecing is just paper piecing, so if you have done that before you shouldn't have too many problems. It also has curved piecing, so being familiar with that is helpful. The directions are excellent, and you should follow them exactly, step by step, doing everything she tells you exactly as she tells you to do it. Her use of a glue stick has been adopted for all my paper piecing projects, as have all the notions she recommends. The hardest part was picking out the fabrics. It is, however, a big undertaking.

Teresa, I am in the final stages of piecing my first Judy Neimeyer project, a Glacier Star.  The directions are clear and the patterns are good, but you'll do even better if you can take a class with a Certified Instructor.  If you can't find a class - Glacier Star is four years old, so they don't teach it as much as the other patterns - you can find help on the Quiltworx Support Network on Facebook.  They are a wonderful group of piecers, and there's usually a Certified Instructor watching that forum, to be a resource to those asking questions.  Have fun!!

have done star wedding and it was easy as long  as you take it  step buy  step.  Do always check her web sight for any corrections.  Unlike Lynn I hated the glue and wouldn't use it again.  AS my friend says that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream we all like different things.  

I have done "dessert sky"  I took a workshop offered through my quilt guild and it was taught by a certified teacher...It wasn't hard but then I had guidance...it did take a while to do all the piecing and tearing off of the paper...but the instructions were clear and just need to proceed step by step....one thing though was that patterns published after a certain date...which I can't remember, had more complete instruction on how to proceed and how to organize your paper piecing so it was easier to keep track of everything and you could chain piece....I did like the glue pen for doing the curved piecing.....Lin

• 2 weeks later...

I did Hawaiian Star .  I really, really enjoyed doing it.  The thing I did that helped me stay organized was buy the huge zip loc bags and I kept all the different segments separated in these bags.  I labeled all the bags w/ sharpie.  I would read through ALL the directions several times as it helps to know whats coming next.  The directions were good and I had no problem following them.  If you can paper piece and sew a curved a seam you should have no problems.  REally fun.

I would recommend you start with the Glacier Star before doing the Agave Garden. The Glacier Star is a newer pattern and is laid out really nice. It's an easier one to follow as your first Judy Niemeyer pattern. Make sure you do the organization up front and take it one booklet at a time. After you have completed that one, I'm sure you will have no trouble completing Agave Garden.

There were several certified JN classes locally within the last two years and I'm still getting lots of them to quilt. My customers have said that while the directions are great, it takes a long time to paper piece and assemble each section. Most have said it's best to work slow-but-sure since if you must pack it up and put it away, it takes some doing to get back on track. The instructions have you assembling the fabrics and cutting so you can put everything needed for one section into Zip-locks so it's organized and less intimidating.

One complaint was that the fabric requirements left them with enough extra fabric to almost build another top!

Thanks Linda. Those are things to keep in mind.  I won't be starting on anything until at least Christmas break. It's back to real work on Monday.  I REALLY don't want to go, but I don't have a choice in the matter.   So, my quilting will go on the back burner again until Thanksgiving or Christmas. 

Archived