I'm hoping to get this into a show at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles .... it's for an exhibit of Modern Amish with examples of real Amish quilts from Ohio alongside modern versions made by the local Modern Quilt Guilds and is curated by Joe Cunningham. 

Top: Kona and Art Gallery Solids, pieced with Aurifil #50 thread

Batting: Quilter's Dream Cotton Deluxe loft

Quilted with So Fine #50 thread in charcoal

Digital quilting design, Modern Serpentine by Anita Shackelford (tweaked by me to have variance in line spacing)

Wish me luck!

(Can I say once again that I LOVE my APQS Freddie with IQ ... what an amazing quilting combo!!!)

post-18162-0-90253000-1412875873_thumb.jpgpost-18162-0-24408100-1412875882_thumb.jpgpost-18162-0-67736600-1412875887_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for all of your quilt love and good wishes. I'll follow up with you and let you know if it makes it into the show.

As for Bonnie Devenport's question: I took my inspiration from a traditional Amish bars quilt. Instead of doing a center with regular rectangular bars I opted to sew improv strips. The second border was just pieced with a variety of turquoise fabrics, some with smaller bits of strips and checkerboard. All of this was followed up with a variety of purples for the final border. I guess the modern part is that I wasn't concerned with perfect squares or rectangles as well as using non-traditional color choices. Ah, and that the original design for this was made on Adobe Photoshop. Then of course using a computerized longarm for the quilting was a modern way to quilt it. All just my interpretation of course. ;-)

Archived