Needle Bar Replacement

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Try using the hole on the other side of the needle bar.  It will not be stripped out.  More than likely, it is the actual screw threads that are buggered up.  The hole threads are more than likely fine.

Take your old needle bar screw; hopefully the threads are not stripped too bad, and have it sized at the local hardware store.  Get a allen wrench head screw, as I found them to be shorter than what I could find in a normal head when I lost my needle bar screw.  They will all be longer than the actual APQS screw, as I think APQS cuts a longer screw down to their required size.  I believe the screw/thread size is a 4-20.  But I do not have my notes with me at work.  Maybe someone else can chime in if I am wrong.

After you have the proper screw, thread it into the hole you were not using and screw it through the entire needle bar.  If it turns tight, loosen it, and then tighten it slowly and gently until you get it to go through the entire needle bar.  It will clean up the threads on the side you believe is stripped out.

Again, I believe the screw threads are stripped, while the needle bar threads are fine.  Once you are done, get a few extra needle bar screws from APQS.  I hope this helps fix your problem.

Cagey

Thanks Cagey. You are correct on size of screw. I have purchased from APQS and hardware store. When I change a needle (at least every quilt or when skipped stitches show up for no clear reason) apply just enough pressure to secure needle because if I try to tighten, the screw starts to spin. Both screw holes. Just accured to me to try a light tape wrap on screw threads. Worth a try.

I would talk with APQS first, but you could try going to the hardware store and get yourself a tap and die.  I would go one size up,  Cut yourself new threads one size larger.  Then cut off a new screw to the proper length, and clean the threads up.  It would probably be easier then installing an entirely new needle bar.  Worse case, it does not work and you have a new tap and die set, and you install a new needle bar.

Cagey

Archived