Changing times and quilting trends

This has been the year for me to notice that some of my suggestions are taking hold with my customers. One of them being, using two battings. Previous to this year, if I would suggest two battings on a custom quilt for better definition, I'd get the "no, there's no need for two battings, why would you use two battings???" kinda response. In the past few months, these same gals have asked for two battings!!! My guess would be someone else around my area has started doing this, probably more than one longarmer, and now we are trending to custom with two battings here. LOL

I'm still working on the "it's okay to stitch through redwork" idea if the thread is thin.

What trends have you noticed in your area?

You almost HAVE to use two battings anymore because one is sooooo thin.  Especially the Hobbs one.  I actually saw a batting that said it had an eighth inch loft.  Really!!!???  One eighth inch?  It personally annoys me.

I doodled a piece of fabric and I keep it handing in my studio.  Part of it has a double layer of (Hobbs 80/20) and part has only one layer.  It's very obvious when the double batting ends....there is a vertical line at the right edge of the diamonds and the quilting becomes baggy.  It's obvious to my customers what the differences can be.  I also have quilted up samples of QD Puff and a couple other QD products I sell.  Then, it's their choice.  Personally, I hate baggy feathers.  :angry:

post-62883-0-00596400-1414785365_thumb.jpg

Ann that is so pretty!  Your feathers are so nice and full!   

Oma maybe that batting should say "an 8th inch HINT of loft"  LOL!

I have noticed that lots of people are using two battings as well....personally I still steer them toward wool as it gives the loft and one wool batt is still less than 2 thinner ones and easier to manage...is machine washable and has beautiful drape....can you tell I love quilting with wool?

I have samples of double batted quilts on display, but so far very few in northern MN has taken me up on the idea.  I too like wool alone...it drapes SO nice and is awesome to work with.

I can't say that I'm seeing a lot of new trends.  What keeps on amazing me is how generous quilters are.  I would say 80 percent of the quilts I quilt are to be a gift for someone.  Such kind givers.

Oma, I agree, the battings are getting so thin these days!! when I first started quilting, W&W and W&N used to be a lot thicker than they are now.

Vicki and Charlotte, my new year's resolution is to start using and pushing wool more! I have a redwork quilt coming up that will be done in wool. It really does give such a nice loft and beautiful definition to the quilting. Unfortunately, it makes my hands very dry and crack and become itchy. Quilter's Dream Poly is a pretty good substitute but I like the wool so much better.

Charlotte, I've been hearing a lot of gift-giving of quilts going on around here, too. I guess we can only make and display or store so many. Most of us who create, love to do so with someone else in mind!

I love wool also and use it on my own quilts....did I just say that??  I have not finished a quilt for me for a couple of years.....well, anyway, when I quilt for me, I plan to use my roll of QD wool.  Lots of folks are scared of it and don't want to try it...that leaves more for me.   :rolleyes:

I think the double batt thing started with show quilters using cotton batting for stability and wool on top for stitch definition. I've had one quilt where she provided a double poly batt and it was beautiful.

Wool is the up-and-comer around here. Both shops carry it and it's readily available online. I've had slew of Judy N quilts in the last two years and when quilted with wool they are always commented upon at Guild show-and-tell. Word of mouth is steering customers towards wool. And I just picked up a roll of Tuscany wool at the wholesaler today to have it available for customers.

Another trend locally is a new Modern Quilt Guild which has sent a lot of new quilters to our guild. Nice to see the younger set starting to quilt.

Our Trend is fewer folks wanting long arm quilting.

I've not had the $$ to try the wool, I think I bought a

few yards from someone, and have a small package,

which I'm at a loss to remember when and where and

how I got it.

Eager to try various QD batts.  Wool will come first.

Hopefully my trend will be more people wanting longarm quilting done.   We got a Joann's store at the first of September.  I took 20 business cards there when they opened.  Today when I went in I dropped off 20 more because they didn't have any.  Whether they passed them out or threw them away, I will never know.  I hope they have people asking for quilting.  I might also contact the manager to see about doing a class there, something simple for beginners.

I like to use Thermore polyester batting in my quilted garments. It is 1/8 inch thick and is also nice for quilted table cloths. I also have done 1 jacket with wool and liked it. For parts of the jacket I quilt to the top fabric and batting only with no backing, then line that part of the jacket. The Thermore holds up better to that method of construction because the wool tends to pull apart. Judges like supple quilted clothing and you get bad comments if it is too stiff. So no double batts for me with clothing!

I have also noticed that battings are junky.  I even got a bad Hobbs polydown one last week. It had big hunks of stuff in places and was super thin in places.  I couldn't even use it.  I love QD wool, but my customer doesn't like wool at all. I have finally gotten her to quit buying the prepackaged ones from Joann or Walmart because they are just so bad.

Archived