Need help...Trouble controlling machine.

HI, I am feeling sorry to bother anyone with this, but it reduced me to tears yesterday and I need help.  I have 2007 Millenium, bought new, have been quilting part time x 7 years.  I have quilted lots of quilts, for customers and myself, but am not able to do what I really want to do...Nice freehand feathers, etc.  I have bought the Circle Lord stuff, and LOVE it all, bought grooved pattern boards and love them, too.  Bought tons of rulers and books, etc.  My problem is that when I try to do curves or feathers free hand, I cannot control my machine to make smooth curves...OH, also, bought Edgerider wheels, with very small amount of improvement, and now have M and M wheels, with minimal improvement.  I am muscling my machine for nearly all freehand work, except with rulers.  MY husband has tried adjusting the wheels...minimal, if any improvement.

I went to the APQS booth at the Houston Quilt Show a couple of weeks ago...Quilted on a new Millennium, and Wonder of Wonders...I could quilt feathers easily!  So, it is not all my lack of talent, skill, practice, prayer or whatever I am not doing right.

I spoke to a very nice APQS man at the show...Explained the problem, and he recommended a Bliss system...$3000 that I do not have just now.  Any advice?  I am so sorry about this whine...But truly do need help...No dealer anywhere near me here in NE Louisiana.

I was struggling with machine movement issues also so put in a call to APQS and talked with Dawn C. herself! She was incredibly helpful. The biggest aha! piece of information was testing each wheel on the carriage individually to see how tight it was. First she had me loosen both sets of wheels. Then for each wheel, I held the machine still and tried to turn the wheel without moving the machine. The goal is to have each of them giving about the same amount of resistance. I found that mine were very uneven, so went back to adjusting the tightness per the instructional video. I had done this many times before, but this time I was able to fine tune things instead of trying to figure out if I had made things better or worse just by feel. I would recommend a call to APQS while you are at the machine with your tools handy while someone talks you through this. I hope this helps.

Carol

You should be able to adjust your M&M wheels so that you have a nice smooth ride. I've added a post from a much earlier thread that may help you to properly adjust your wheels.  It may also be that you have one or more wheels that have bad bearings - call Amy at APQS Service, she can help you figure that one out.  You should NOT have this much trouble moving your machine!  And never feel like you are bothering anyone here - that's what this forum is for.

Proper Wheel Adjustment.pdf

I got my milli at the same time you did, and also put the M&M wheels on.  I am able to do feathers quite easily, and the more I do them, the better they get.  No one should be in tears over their machine - they are too much fun for that!  I agree with Barb - look over the download, and if it isn't what you need, call Amy.  She knows these machines inside and out and is SO helpful.  I guarantee between the forum, Barb and Amy you will be feathering in no time!

Gals, barb nailed this. Your wheels need to have that itty bitty space where they "float" on those rails.

Ask me how I know this. Learned it quite a few years back, and my machine 2005 millie, you'd have to pry out of my DEAD fingers to acquire.  Myrna quilted on my machine and said, Quote' Dang girl, you have a smooth machine!!!

Check to see if Dave Jones will be in your area and have him come and go over your system!  He is fantastic at getting these machines to stitch perfectly and roll smoothly!  

Yes, this would be my suggestion.  When Dave has been here, I can't tell you how much better my machine moves.  I have an Older Millie with M & M wheels.  I have no problem moving my machine overall, so I am always so surprised how much lighter it feels when Dave fine tunes it.  Also, have you cleaned your wheels?  If I feel like it is a little sluggish, I clean my wheels by running them over several layers of cotton batting.  You won't believe the junk that comes off!  I also clean my rails at the same time.  These are great machines.  You will find the solution from the people here or the company.   :)

These machines should all sail along really smoothly.  If they don't there's something out of adjustment.

Teresa:  I'm sure that your Lenni should work better than it does.  I have an Ult2 like you used to have, and it too moves really nicely.  The Lenni should do so as well.  I think you had a damaged carriage originally, right?  I don't believe you've ever got Lenni set up properly.  I don't like horizontal wheel systems because they are so much more difficult to keep properly adjusted.  I much prefer the vertical systems the Ult2 had.  That being said, you still ought to be able to get your machine to move very nicely.  You might have to adjust things more often, but you should be able to get it to move smooth and easy.  Start searching for the problem.  Does the vertical movement seem stiff, or the horizontal.  Look to whichever wheel set gives the most problem.  Look for a dislocated or bent wheel arm, or uneven wheel contact.  There's something wrong.  Jim 

Jim, the Lenni is on the exact same type of table the Ultimate 2 was, except it is metal Lbeams instead of a wooden table  with rails. The wheels are vertical on the carriage and the head.  We have adjusted the wheels several times, leveled and releveled the table, sanded the bad spots in the table rails, adjusted the stitch regulator encoder wheel. Nothing has helped.  If a rep ever gets down this way for anything I am hoping I can get them to come by and see if they can adjust anything any differently.  Straight lines are great, circles and feathers are hard to do.

Teresa:  What kind of wheels do you have on it?  I've got Edgeriders.  How about the cord?  Zelda moves so easily that the weight/stiffness of the cord will push her around.  Are the machine axles straight?  How about the rubber grommets between the machine and the axles?  Any play in them?  Are your handles tight?  There's got to be something that not right.  Jim

I'm not sure what the wheels are.  They are black rubber wheels with the groove in the center to fit on the rails.  The cord is suspended on an overhead trolley system that travels the length of the table while I am stitching. There is no play in the wheels or axles.  We checked all that right after I noticed that it was hard to steer.  I am really hoping to have somebody take a look at it one day, or win the lottery to buy a bliss table.

Teresa:  Get yourself a set of Edgerider wheels.  It sounds to me like your wheels are worn out.  I didn't think the standard wheels were black, mine were a kind of dark brown, but I don't know of any after market wheel for the vertical wheel machines other than Edgeriders.  Zelda had original wheels when she was delivered.  replacing them made a world of difference in how she moved.  Send me photos of your wheels and tracks, that might help me ID what might be wrong.  Jim

Check how your wheels are riding.  If you have one wheel that isn't quite engaged to the rail, you're going to have big problems with control.  Also make sure your table is level and square.  Things get bumped over the years and sometimes the table gets a little wonky.  Once your wheels are properly adjusted and your table is straight, you should be able to do wonderful feathers again.

Teresa, have you checked with APQS about getting new rails that are NOT damaged, and

wheels to go with them? I think that would help a lot.

I don't think it would be out of this world pricy.. I hope.

Rita,

Teresa's Lenni is on an original steel table which is no longer produced. She bought it secondhand and the rails were damaged in transit after she purchased it. Since the Lenni table has been redesigned the only option APQS can offer is forTeresa to purchase a new style table.

The rails alone could be replaced by a machinist. I understand that Teresa has been searching for a replacement table from someone who has replaced their original steel table with the new style table.

I hope Teresa finds an affordable solution!

Vickie

• 5 years later...

Becky,

I would suggest you private message SmockingRN if you desire a reply.  RN has not visited the site since Aug 2019.  If you hover over the posters name, you get their information and you can message them from there too.

Best of luck finding what you are looking for.