The Journey Nears An End...

I had posted a little about this "Border Challenge" quilt earlier; it came off the frame yesterday. I entitled the piece "It's The Journey" because I learned so much along the way (it truly was a challenge; design elements and colors were randomly selected at my LQS each month), never really understanding the destination (or final "plan") ahead of time. It was a wonderful learning experience! The freedom to quilt each component of this quilt with the smoothness of Quilt Glide and and ease of movement provided by the Bliss drive helped me to acheive the dream quilting I was hoping for!  It will hang in my studio right above my Millenium.

post-3971-0-14794900-1415914559_thumb.jpg

post-3971-0-82942500-1415914635_thumb.jpg

post-3971-0-53773700-1415914667_thumb.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for your kind compliments, I give my new Millenium, "Snowbird", all the quilting credit. I have decided upon a tiny black and white stripe (bias cut) piping to accent a black binding... this "journey" isn't done yet! Also, I created the LARGEST ever label for the back. I've attached a copy of that so that you can read through the challenge "rules" and see for yourself how I ended up with this creation:

“It’s The Journey”

Debra Cunningham Voigt

Pfafftown, NC ~ November 2014

This quilt is the product of a monthly “Head For The Border” challenge held at a local quilt shop: Sew Original, Winston-Salem, NC beginning in November 2013. I began with the four Winding Ways blocks in the center of the quilt, from there the design elements and colors were decided by random drawings:

Round # 1 ~ Rectangles and the color black

Round #2 ~ Flying Geese and the color green

Round #3 ~ Squares and the color brown

Round #4 ~ Square in a Square and the color purple

Round #5 ~ Pieced blocks and the color orange

Round #6 ~ Applique and the colors red, blue and/or yellow

Since this wasn’t a quilt that could be pre-planned it became an exercise in “design as you go” and presented many false starts and pitfalls along the way; the decisions were never clear cut (as implied by the quote). It wasn’t until the final round that I realized it never had been about the destination after all, this project was all about the journey. As a quiltmaker I was stretched and challenged at every juncture. Given the opportunity, I would participate in a challenge like this one all over again; it was great fun!

Archived