Another question about t-shirt quilts.

Talked to the gal who dropped off her t-shirt quilt to me and I think I have her talked out of  the fleece for the backing, but she mentioned to me that the gal who helped her make the top had her own t-shirt quilts ONLY quilted in the sashings.  Now these shirt blocks are over 13" and I am thinking that is way too big of an area to leave unquilted.  Do you agree?  I am planning on just doing a meander over the whole quilt (92 1/2 x 105") and it has been suggested to me to use a very thin poly batt just so there is some definition to the stitches.  I would love some of your opinions on these things. 

I've recently completed several t-shirt quilts and found that an all-over meander worked well, as it enabled the quilting to look balanced.  Meandering also helped me focus on certain areas.  I used a cotton batting and neutral thread because I wanted the t-shirts to dominate.  I should mention that these were what I call memory quilts, quilted for friends who had recently lost a loved one.  In addition to t-shirts, I included photos and clothing (onesie, scout shirt, etc.).  I did not quilt over the photos but around them on the sashing.  The recipients love and treasure the quilts, including the quilting!  

Nancy V

I believe that those blocks are way too big to leave unquilted.  Overall meander, with neutral or invisible thread will give her a much better quilt, and should give you a happier customer.

Linda Rech recommend Mountain Mist polyester for T-shirt quilts recently, and I am keeping that in mind for the next time I do one. 

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/36712-light-batting-question/?hl=t-shirt

I just finished another t-shirt quilt yesterday.  I always try to just meander and use either light weight poly or 80/20.  The one I did was suppose to be a Christmas gift but the guy passed on Sat. and so I finished it and gave to his girlfriend of 19 years.  So sad but she has lots of memories of him playing softball through the years.

I've made a few tshirt quilts and they all turned out fine.

None were as big as yours, though.

I meandered using SoFine thread...aside from avoiding real thick seams, I just stitched all over the whole thing.

No need to avoid the screen printing.

I use Hobbs 80/20 on some, QD select on others and both were fine.

I've always constructed the flimsy myself, so it was properly stabilized.

They are heavy, but Lola never had a problem stitching thru them.

Good luck.

I typically use a grey Omni thread with Hobbs poly batt on the tshirt quilts I do for customers. I use a wide open meander and the shirts have all been stabilized with a non-woven fusible interfacing. I make sure not to leave any area bigger than a generous fist unquilted. They go FAST and I can make really good money doing t-shirt quilts- especially if my computer is stitching them while I'm working on something else. :)

I make 30 to 60 t-shirt quilts a year.  From 9 to 36 shirts.  I never stabilize them unless there is something wrong with the shirt.  I use either 80/20 cotton or poly  batting which ever the customer wants.  I have used fleece on the back with no problems.  I use the swirl boards by Circle Lord or an all over meander that covers nicely .  

• 2 years later...

Bobbie, the meandering goes right through the screen printing, not around it.  Generally, T-shirt quilts already have so much going on that the quilting design is not all that important to the finished look of the quilt.

I've done several t-shirt quilts.  I do an all over meander using monofilament thread on top and a thread that matches the backing in the bobbin.  The results are great and the shirts show up more than the quilting, which is what my customers want on these type of quilts. 

Archived