Ok, I'm baffled.....?

I am truly baffled....when doing a panto, I get to the same area on the quilt every roll and the bobbin thread seems to break about 1/4 inch outside of the bobbin..it is shredded on the end of the thread and it only happens once each pass and in the same area...I have checked everything...and cleaned everything, and changed needles...doesn't happen when doing custom quilting, just a panto...what could it be???  The only things that are differant are the area on the frame and the quilt itself...does anyone have any ideas?

Apparently, sense it only happens in the same spot, it means that the timing or needle bar depth is a tad bit off. Also check your thread guides. But I think it's your hook or needle bar. The hook is shredding the thread because the thread loop is out of whack when the needle starts it's way back up from the down position. Zeke...

Do you refill your bobbin before starting each row? Just thinking out loud. If it's breaking in the same place on each panto pass and you are re-winding the bobbin with each row, that could indicate you are at the same "thread usage" on the bobbin. Anyway, it's odd!! Maybe today is really Friday the 13th?? I hope you get it figured out. Let us know what the real culprit is/was!

Something along these lines is what I might have thought.  Maybe a seam?  Or fold...or wrinkle in the batt...something that would cause an issue in the same place even with advancing...will have to keep tabs and see if you discover what the issue is! 

What fabric is at that spot, was there a fold in the wadding or backing at that spot?
or is it at the very centre of your table and it is not quite level. Does the cord catch on someyhign just there.

I've stopped as soon as it happens and looked really well with a flashlight into the bobbin area, same area on the frame, has happened with several quilts in the same area....Zeke - if it was the hook or needle bar wouldn't it do this in more areas? I have a new bobbin assembly...and have checked for any burrs... I have been using the magna glide bobbins and do not put a new one in for each row...it seems like it happens about 12 inches from the edge of the quilt on each row...would it really do this if it was slightly off on being level?  I even crawled under the frame and looked at how the wheels ride on the frame as it goes by this spot...like I said...I'm baffled....the cords seem to be not in the way....

I have now moved on to a custom so I can keep a better eye on what is going on....

Vicki:  Here are some thoughts.  I'm not saying that any of these are what's wrong, but they're worth looking into, and thinking about.

If your table is sprung up at that point, the quilt sandwich might drag enough on the machine to break thread.

If your leaders are not straight and even, you could have a tight spot in the quilt sandwich at that point.

When you move your machine right to left from the back, are your movements different at this point? (is your path obstructed etc.?)

Is your leveling roller straight?

Do you have a ceiling fan blowing on your quilt?  It might affect the quilt sandwich, or impact the thread flow.

Is there anything unusual about how you clamp the quilt sandwich?

If you stitch from left to right, does it still break in the same spot?

Do the stitches near the break look the same as all the others?

Archived