Help, a new technique has me stymied!!

A customer brought me a quilt with a new binding technique she learned at a recent retreat. When I saw it we discussed that she knew she was getting off-the-edge quilting and that I wondered how this would work on this particular binding techique. She understood what I was worried about and assured me it was fine to quilt off the edge. Perfect.

Fast forward to me loading it just now. I am wondering how this technique is going to be compatible with off-the-edge type quilting? Has anyone encountered this? And can you explain for me how the binding is finished off?

I'm on hold on getting this quilted -- was going to get it finished tonight but I called her and no answer. Worst case scenario is I quilt it and she has to cut off the edge and apply the binding "the regular way." I'm just hoping there's some technique about the binding she knows about that I don't. Or that you can explain. Thank you!!!!

post-5206-0-12951700-1416712983_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-75785100-1416713268_thumb.jpg

Where will you use the clamps or pin to the rollers? On the binding? The only way I can see this working is if you sew a leader helper to all sides, and then she ends up with quilting thru the binding anyway so what happens when she tries to turn it? Seems to me that it would be a lot of bulk there and also she would have the unfinished edge of the backing stitched down to the binding .....Since you discussed this with her at dropoff, and she wants to do it, then it is not your problem how she finishes the binding because you did the quilting her way. Some people just don't think things thru all the way.....lol

Would love to see the completed edge when she is done.

Debbie

My gal just called me. She made a mistake in applying the binding first. Oops!! She had seen the quilt in the shop where she bought the pattern and it was done this way but not yet quilted. It's either a pattern mistake or a reading mistake -- both of which happen! So all is good. She's going to cut off the little bit of folded binding when she gets her quilt back and is totally fine with that. Lucky me!!

Thanks for brainstorming this one with me. I was stumped!

Just like you, I'd wait to talk to her, Bonnie.

Explain to her that if you quilt over the binding and off the edge, that binding strip will be stitched onto the batting and the backer. I don't know how she'll be able to use the applied binding to finish the edge. There's no way to trim the batting and backer except right up against the folded edge of the binding. And wrapping it to the back will enclose a double layer of batting plus a double layer of backer (and probably have edges of raw batting and backer peaking out from under the trimmed edge). I think she mis-interpreted the binding instructions or doesn't understand the quilting process for off-the-edge.

Please share her technique when you and your customer get it sorted out. 

Looks like we posted at the same time. Great to read that you got it sorted out!

Terry it certainly made it a little hard to "tame the border!" One side of the quilt was a little longer than the other. :mellow: I hope you don't get any either! I had another one show up about a month or so ago, and the fabrics used were that cotton poly solid stuff that is cheap from Joann's with a really thin outer border, like 2 inches. I haven't had luck with that kind of fabric laying flat, and this one was so friendly from the middle out that I had to let her know there would be pleats when she got it back. With it being the second quilt with the binding already on, I wondered if there really was a new technique. Let's hope not!!

Archived