Uneven feeding

We had that for one small practice quilt when we had an old stretched machine

that had no marks on the poles to follow. 

We'd not gotten a section of the duct tape straight on that end of the takeup roller.

The APQS rollers we got have a straight line on them that we use to line  up the

leader as we taped it on.

Hope Linda and I have helped.

Rita

This has me thinking ...

Even if your leaders are a tad off, if you apply your quilt top using channel locks to get it on nice and straight at the top, does it matter if your leaders are a little off? The way my brain is thinking, it shouldn't. Yes? or No?

It's not a rare occasion that I have a customer quilt that is a little longer on one side than another. Before I load any quilt, I take measurements so I know in advance if I'm going to have to pay special attention to easing it into square. I find an inch or so is no problem on a big quilt. Three or 4 inches, can become a problem though, depending on where the extra fabric is hiding.

Hi Bonnie---I float my tops and always use my channel locks to line it perfectly straight at the top. I never use the edge, since you can't count on that being flat and straight. I use the most prominent horizontal seam to load. Sometimes it's the first horizontal seam and sometimes if there are multiple borders, it's the seam between the borders and the body of the quilt. 

Linda, I too, do the same. I was thinking the leaders being a little off wouldn't affect the squareness of the quilt top if one is loading the quilt top square (parallel to the bars) with channel locks. Mostly the leaders being a little off would affect how the backing rolls up.

Some days my brain has a way of thinking on it's own and other days it takes more power. LOL

This is a great topic.  Caddyhomes, I have exactly the same issue as you are having.  I've checked everything (or at least thought I had) and cannot figure it out.  Obviously I'm missing something.

Bonnie, I see what you are saying.  If the leaders are a bit off and you use channel locks to make sure the quilt is straight from the beginning, why would it be off unless that "tad" is pulling the quilt off square a bit.

I'm going to re-check everything again when I get the next quilt off the frame.  The bigger the quilt the more I'm off at the end, but it hasn't been more than about 1/2", but it is the right side that "grows". 

I didn't know if it had much affect when rolling up the quilt if the machine head was under the quilt, so I've moved it out from under the quilt as I advance the quilt on the frame.  Can't tell if that has made any difference, but I'm trying to rule out everything!

This is a second attempt to post my reply.  My apologies if it shows up twice.

I considered all the options you gave me, and practice the same loading techniques suggested.

I unrolled the pick up canvas right to the aluminum and discovered on the right side, the side that consistently winds tighter, a 1/8 inch glob of glue from the factory used to attached the canvas to the roller.   That 1/8" over the course of a large quilt could add a significant distortion.

I am going to remove that glove of glue, let the canvas rest, and reroll hoping that solves the distortion issue. 

This is the final instalment in the saga of The Case of the Uneven Quilt Tops.  

The removal of the glue glob may have been an insignificant factor, as the problem of uneven rolling on the left side of the quilt continued.   I called in the professional!  THE HUSBAND!

I was humbled by his quick analysis of the issue.  Maybe even a touch humiliated!

The backing roller and the pickup roller were not installed exactly parallel to each other.  The left side was 1/4" out of line.  Roger tighted up the screw holding the roller in place, while I held the roller- important step, to ensure equal distance between the two rollers.

Perfection ever since.   

The main issue was rollers not installed exactly parallel to each other.   

Thank you for your encouragement to keep pursuing perfection.

Charlotte

For spot on accuracy, Roger says, buy your husband a laser tape measure!  If you are on a budget, a ridged yard stick would work.  

He used a regular construction tape measure, placed it against the pick up roller, over the leveler bar, under the quilt top roller then to the backing roller ensuring that he remained consistent in placement from side to side.  

Any system would work, as long as you use the same parameters for each side.   The collar and shoulder bolt were easy to remove and adjust. 

I am so thrilled with the new performance on my machine! 

Charlotte 

Charlotte, thank you for the great explanation.  My hubby's got quite an assortment of tools, gadgets, etc. so I'm sure we can come up with a laser level.  I know there's one here somewhere.  His shop is about as bad as my sewing/quilt rooms.  :wacko:

Charlotte, ,  Can your husband recommend a laser tape measure.  My DH loves tools and has many which he uses.  That would make a nice Christmas present and he could use it on my machine.   I have been so lucky that he can fix most anything.  Of course, every job usually requires a new tool of some kind.  However, they have all paid for themselves.  Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Marilyn

Archived