info on sweater quilt

Quilted by Carmen

I'm only jumping in here because no one else has yet.  What type of sweaters are we talking about?  I'm thinking hand knit, but I don't think it would be a problem.  Yes, you'd want to interface them, possibly even zig zag stitch the edges or stitch them somehow so that they don't unravel.  Batting?  Don't know.  Might be decided after you finish the top.  Might be necessary to even out the different thicknesses of the sweaters.  You'll probably need to raise the height of your hopping foot to get it over the sweaters, but maybe I'm still thinking of hand knits. 

Someone else, jump in here please!

I think I'd put water soluble stabilizer or a light tear away stabilizer on top of the sweaters when quilting. Then you don't have to worry about your foot catching on the knit, especially if there are cables or any type of uneven design. I'd also use something like thermore or warm and natural as a batting just to give some support to the blocks. Hope this helps!

The biggest problem I think would be the batting working out between the stitches. I would certainly put a substantial interfacing behind the sweaters, or even a layer of muslin. I would keep the batting on the thin side. I agree raising the hopping foot might be necessary. Where do people get these ideas?

The biggest problem I think would be the batting working out between the stitches. I would certainly put a substantial interfacing behind the sweaters, or even a layer of muslin. I would keep the batting on the thin side. I agree raising the hopping foot might be necessary. Where do people get these ideas?

I'm with you, Lynn. How could this not end up a hot mess and nothing but a problem for the quilter? I'll be waiting to see the outcome... :blink:

Edited--I couldn't resist doing a search for "quilts made from sweaters" and there are a bunch out there. The only thing is---they aren't quilts, they're blankets. Just chopped up sweaters with the edges finished and then sewn together, sometimes with a backer but not with batting. And I don't think there's any quilting involved. They look pretty rough. Not something elegant but a great cuddle blanket, especially if the sweaters are old treasures. Here's a link---

https://seamstresserin.com/sweaters-blanket-tutorial/

• 9 months later...

When my mom died two years ago I inherited her wool sweaters, and began an internet search to learn everything possible about working with this stretchy material and how to turn it into a patchwork quilt.

The result is an almost-done sweater quilt (we became marching band parents and then moved to another state, disrupting its completion), but I got pretty far with it and blogged about it in the process, starting with this post:

https://chocolatecakequiltdesigns.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/sweater-quilt-explained/

Micajah is correct: this is not a project for everyone. It has the potential to be frustrating; but for me, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about something different and figuring out what would work best in order to give me the result I was looking for. The best part was feeling like I was with my mom when I was working with her sweaters. I wish you good luck should you decide to tackle one.

Terri

Just a thought...although this would not work on a long arm quilting system, may I suggest looking up this very talented sweater artist:  Katwise on etsy or on Facebook.  Katherine Sullivan.  She makes frankensweaters, and arm warmers, bags, hair accessories, but elevates it to an art form.  Check her out before you start the quilt, as she sells tutorials that are very entertaining in her etsy shop about working with sweaters, washing, felting, shrinking before construction...and you might have a project here that would work best constructed almost like a rag quilt, using a serger and quilt as you go method.  I have two of her goddess coats, and they are heavy, but warm and soft and fantastic...and I could see a quilt made in this way.  Any other doubling, or batting sounds too heavy and stiff, and I can't imagine how it would be used with all that thickness and bulk unless you are using cashmere or very light weight and tightly knitted sweaters...not cotton or acrylic or any loose weaves.  

http://katwise.com

https://www.facebook.com/sweaterkat/timeline/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/katwise

You won't believe how beautiful and wacky and colorful her work is.  It might inspire.  Best!!  Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot imagine quilting sweaters, so I cannot wait to see the finished product. I can see wool sweaters, maybe, since you could shrink them and make a tight weave, then I would back them with something for stability. But some sweaters are made of just yarn....whatever that is....and is very stretchy, no matter what. I am glad it is not me  :P  And will be glad to see the finished product. It may be inspiring to try it....or not  :)

Archived